Crash: Nexus 10 Android 4.3

I’ve written an app in the past, and I was recently updating it with the latest version of jME3. I updated my IDE, SDK, and plugins, as well as my Android SDK to API 18. Now when I compile the app and run in on the Nexus 10, it crashes instantly. Here’s the log error:
[java]
09-09 10:17:41.641: W/dalvikvm(3984): threadid=10: thread exiting with uncaught exception (group=0x41f82700)
09-09 10:17:41.641: E/AndroidRuntime(3984): FATAL EXCEPTION: GLThread 416
09-09 10:17:41.641: E/AndroidRuntime(3984): java.lang.RuntimeException: createContext failed: EGL_SUCCESS
09-09 10:17:41.641: E/AndroidRuntime(3984): at android.opengl.GLSurfaceView$EglHelper.throwEglException(GLSurfaceView.java:1193)
09-09 10:17:41.641: E/AndroidRuntime(3984): at android.opengl.GLSurfaceView$EglHelper.throwEglException(GLSurfaceView.java:1184)
09-09 10:17:41.641: E/AndroidRuntime(3984): at android.opengl.GLSurfaceView$EglHelper.start(GLSurfaceView.java:1034)
09-09 10:17:41.641: E/AndroidRuntime(3984): at android.opengl.GLSurfaceView$GLThread.guardedRun(GLSurfaceView.java:1401)
09-09 10:17:41.641: E/AndroidRuntime(3984): at android.opengl.GLSurfaceView$GLThread.run(GLSurfaceView.java:1240)
[/java]
All help is appreciated. I’ve reinstalled with the latest jME3 IDE install, and ran all updates to nightly builds.

Can you enable more logging and provide the logcat leading up to the error as well?

Set the log level to ALL per:
http://hub.jmonkeyengine.org/forum/topic/update-to-logging-in-android-applications/

Thanks very much for the quick response!

Full crash log here: http://pastebin.com/pwwqEPVE

1 Like
@Blockhouse said: Thanks very much for the quick response!

Full crash log here: jME3 Crash - Pastebin.com

That is very helpful, thanks.
It looks like the config chooser is [edit - not] setting a config.

@nehon, can you tell what’s going on with config chooser? If not, I can try to look at it tonight.

I can’t look into it right now Eric, but the returned pixel conf is indeed completely wrong.

@Blockhouse said: Thanks very much for the quick response!

Full crash log here: jME3 Crash - Pastebin.com

Did you set antiAliasingSamples to a value in MainActivity?

@Blockhouse

Also, what is eglConfigType set to in MainActivity?

There’s some really weird stuff going on here.

First, there should be a matched BEST config, but it doesn’t recognize it. There also is a matched fail safe config that it finds, but when the GLSurfaceView requests the config, the config is returned as a new empty config.

Weird. Not sure what is going on here yet.

@iwgeric I’ll try to borrow a nexus10 at work tomorrow, and see what’s going on

@iwgeric

I do not set antiAliasingSamples in MainActivity.
eglConfigType = ConfigType.FASTEST;

Thanks again for your help.

@nehon
It is running the latest 4.3 update.

1 Like

@Blockhouse

Can you try setting the eglConfigType to BEST instead of FASTEST and see what happens?

@iwgeric Still crashes, here’s the log:

1 Like
@Blockhouse said: @iwgeric Still crashes, here's the log:

Nexus 10 jME3 Crash 2 - Pastebin.com

The new log was helpful anyway. It tells us that the issue is not in the failsafe config detection because the new log shows finding one of the BEST configs still produces the issue.

We just committed a change to improve the error checking during this process, but I’m not sure if you’re setup to be able to use the new change. It won’t fix the issue, but it may give us some additional error codes from the gpu to work with.

The easiest way would be to wait until the next nightly runs tonight and use the “nightly” sdk. Let me know if that is possible for you.

@iwgeric Yes, I can update to the nightly tomorrow morning and test again. Thanks.

@iwgeric Here’s the crash log after the nightly build. Still using ConfigType.BEST.

@iwgeric said: The easiest way would be to wait until the next nightly runs tonight and use the "nightly" sdk. Let me know if that is possible for you.

3.0RC2 doesn’t get updates anymore.

@normen said: 3.0RC2 doesn't get updates anymore.

Am I referencing the wrong version? I thought I updated to 3.0 stable. My nightly update path is: http://updates.jmonkeyengine.org/nightly/3.0/plugins/updates.xml

@Blockhouse said: Am I referencing the wrong version? I thought I updated to 3.0 stable. My nightly update path is: http://updates.jmonkeyengine.org/nightly/3.0/plugins/updates.xml

You have to download the new SDK application to use 3.0 properly, if you did that then you’re good. The 3.0 update center with a 3.0RC2 app isn’t good. If you use nightly you might have gotten the new update location but you still need the new app.

@normen said: You have to download the new SDK application to use 3.0 properly, if you did that then you're good. The 3.0 update center with a 3.0RC2 app isn't good. If you use nightly you might have gotten the new update location but you still need the new app.

Yes, I did that as well. It has the new splash screen saying stable, and the About shows: Product Version: jMonkeyEngine SDK 3.0

@Blockhouse said: Yes, I did that as well. It has the new splash screen saying stable, and the About shows: Product Version: jMonkeyEngine SDK 3.0

Okay cool, I just didn’t expect many people to have that already because we didn’t officially announce it yet :slight_smile: