DarkMonkey as the new SDK-Default

No I didn’t. But after you mentioned that, I saw that the script threw the exception exactly where the gradle build file was looking for the engine jars. As a gradle noob, I wasn’t expecting that kind of behaviour. The gradle build files that I have run till now have downloaded everything and built everything, including yours, pspeed, such as lemur, zay-es, and all the other simsilica friends, which has been enormously convenient.

Great idea. I see that the readme appears in the browser as a mini wiki. That would help a lot of people … people like me. Maybe copy and paste some of the info in this thread.

That was the exact first thing I tried. But NB gave an error message saying that configuration files and/or dependencies were missing. I have built NB modules before, but this one didn’t want to work. So I tried to build the whole SDK into NBMs, but it freaked out … as I said above.

Looks like Linux stuff to me … I’m using Windows 10. The gradle build process also accused not finding bash, which to me looks to be Linux flavour.

I think this may have been the bit I missed, as pspeed hinted. But it was not obvious to me.

I tried this, copying the jar over to NB 8.2 and overwriting the older version jar file. But I could not get it to show the newer updates to the LAF … as advertised.

Thank you for doing that. I appreciate this so much.
I’m going to download the NBM file now. I will report back on any successes.

EDIT:

The NBM file installed “sweet as candy”.
Thank you for the assistance.

1 Like

When you build the SDK manually then it is assumed that you also want to use the latest engine, too… so it won’t download the official releases in favor of looking locally for the freshly built ones. (At least that’s my understanding.)

1 Like

Most of the time this is the case, right, but the problem is that building the engine was only meant a temporary solution actually. It would require a bit work to make gradle clone git repos and building the engine automatically is not really wanted since it could tamper with some user-made gradle build scripts which rely on some special engine version rather than the sdk one (for some time we had a custom engine with some patches, e.g.)

Yep I definitely want to do that, including a nearly complete rewrite of the text actually, but I lack time and motivation (I hate writing documents and since I do this all day for my bachelor thesis currently, well… :smiley: )

Yeah, this might be related to the fact that gradle actually generates some netbeans files and also puts some jars where netbeans can find and use them.

This is a common misconception actually because of two reasons: The script is only like 3 lines long and does nothing apart from cloning the git repo of the engine and invoking gradlew(.bat) install on it. I did not create a batch file because (that is reason two): Every git implementation on windows comes with a linux environment, since there is no real windows port of git. You can launch that .sh script directly in that environment but a usual batch couldn’t easily launch git from outside that environment (at least that is how I understood it).

This is actually wierd because it should load that jar and the nbm is nothing than a packaged jar with some metadata which is signed to prove the authencity of it, but you never know. Actually I might also misunderstand you and it could be that if you never had DarkMonkey in that Netbeans that it just doesn’t load random jar’s and thats why you need nbms.

Yes and no actually. For some time we needed/wanted the latest engine but I changed it to beta2 some time ago. The reason why it is not using the official releases is that they don’t contain everything we need (jbullet, test-data, …).

2 Likes

To be more precise, you open the Options dialog box by choosing Tools → Options, where you select first the Appearance tab → “Look and Feel” subtab, then the “Fonts and Colors” tab.

Sorry to nitpick. Just hoping to save others the confusion I experienced the first time I tried to do this (and spent a couple minutes hunting around in the Window menu for a “Settings” window).

2 Likes

I actually really like the look and feel,but not really the editor text. props! :smiley:

1 Like

You can change editor text colors to whatever you prefer. Go to:

Tools >> Options >> Fonts and Colors >> Syntax

Then chose what you want to change there. Lets say you want to change comment text color (third in the list). Select it and change the foreground color to bright orange. Hit Apply (or OK if you’re finished) and it’s done.

1 Like

Yes, I know that, I currently have it set to Netbeans.

1 Like

Hello … it’s me again looking for the Dark Monkey NBM file. This link does not contain the file anymore.

I would like to download the latest version again. The one with the blue tabs. I would like to use it in a normal Netbeans installation.

Could this be made available on the SDK distributions page on GitHub? It would seem to be an appropriate place to look … and it does pertain to the SDK itself.

Thanks for your help.

1 Like
1 Like

This is no nbm but only a jar, maybe it still works though?

It could be released there but I guess there is no real demand for it currently to make this worth. My problem is I cannot build a nbm locally because I miss the keys to sign them. If we would introduce our auto-update again we could publish the nbm easily though

1 Like

@RiccardoBlb
That version is tagged as 1.1, which I don’t think is the one I’m looking for. I think the lastest version used in the SDK is 3 dot something. I could be wrong.

I downloaded that one previously and tried to install it in NB 8.2 and got weird results. Only the code editor window was shown in Dark Monkey colors. The rest of the main GUI was all in vanilla NB colors. i.e. no change.

@Darkchaos
Thanks for the JAR. I’ve tried installing JAR files into NB before without success. Maybe I wasn’t doing it properly or something. I am really after the NBM installer. It’s a shame there is little demand for it. Most people that I know that have worked with NB prefers Dark Monkey over other color schemes.

Maybe if the NBM can be recovered, it could be added to @Relic724 's repo on Github. Then it would be available to everyone and easy to find.

1 Like

Keep in mind that there is a) Darcula (another Theme which looks similar) and b) There is the DarkMonkey LaF and FAC (Fonts and Colors, you gotta select this as well).

Can’t you maybe drop the jar in some modules folder where the other jars are?
I can try to build a nbm or if you have enough spare time you could do as well (you have to build the sdk and them ant build-nbms), the problem is only working around the error with the keys, maybe doing it unsigned somehow

1 Like

Yup … you are soooo right! You answered before I could correct my post. Hahaha. Great going. That was where the problem was. I hadn’t set the Look And Feel tab to DarkMonkey. The 1.1 version has the orange tabs and so on. And while that is fine, the newer one is the one I’m really after.

Regarding the JAR, thanks for that. I’ll give it a try.

The reason I am wanting the NBM is that I’m giving programming classes at introductory level and I’m using the default NB IDE for that. I just thought it’d be nice to have everyone using the same LAF. When and if we move on to 3D, then of course, the jME3 SDK will be the way to go. For beginners, I think default NB is better since it has less bells and whistles, and things to click on. Hahaha.

Edit:

The JAR worked. I substituted the v1.1 JAR with the newer JAR. However, I don’t know if the newer JAR would be recognized in a fresh NB install.

The folder was:
c:/users/Alf/AppData/Roaming/Netbeans/8.2/modules
(from memory)

2 Likes

I did some scrounging around on my backup HDs and I think I found the NBM in question. I have now hosted it on my Google Drive for anyone who wants a copy. I think the best place to host it would be on project’s github site held by @Relic724.

Here is the link:
Latest Netbeans Module for Dark Monkey … the same one used in the current jME3.1 SDK

1 Like

Yeah, I have no problem with that, just send in the merge request. That said, probably have it in the nbm targeted format and I’ll lock in that version for d/l. I mean… make sure to include the source. lol

1 Like