Do you think a server could support collision with model?

Hello all,

I would like to know if a server with a large amount of players could support collision detection with many models instead of use a “hit box” ?
In large amount of user I want mean 100 to 1000, a “little mmo” in fact.
I do not know how headless jME works so I prefer ask the question here.

Thanks in advance.

Well yes and no,

Depends on how often per second mostly, and on intelligent optimizing.

Question is bit undetailed.

@Empire Phoenix said: Well yes and no,

Depends on how often per second mostly, and on intelligent optimizing.

Question is bit undetailed.

Yes sorry it is my bad, I will add some details:
The models won’t be use to compute physic collision (no physic at all in fact)
The models will be used to compute the collision with the ray between the player and the “NPC”, it will compute only when a player do an attack.
There won’t be other case where I will use the collision with model I think.

Then it should be pretty fast,
as the details collisions are only calculated when the boundingbox check passes.

Ok thank you very much :slight_smile:

@toggy said: Yes sorry it is my bad, I will add some details: The models won't be use to compute physic collision (no physic at all in fact) The models will be used to compute the collision with the ray between the player and the "NPC", it will compute only when a player do an attack. There won't be other case where I will use the collision with model I think.

I used this approach in the first MMMMMO (Massively-Mini-To-Moderately-Midsized Multiplayer Online game) I was working on and it seemed to work well in tests.

Eventually, I abandoned the project for a new version that has a few more M’s in it. I believe the latest version is an MMMMMMMO and I’m hoping to add at least 3 more M’s to the final version. Though, this will heavily depend on whether or not I can finish the Morbidly-Masecistic-Midget-Model pack in time for release.

EDIT: I really did use this approach… and it worked well.

I’m trying to figure out how to get more O’s in personally. MOOOOOOO

(Actually, there was a ‘moo’ back in the day: MUD-Object-Oriented… acronyms within acronyms for the win.)

1 Like

What the hell have you smoke or drink guys ? :smiley:

@toggy said: What the hell have you smoke or drink guys ? :D

I’m NOT sharing.

@pspeed said: I'm NOT sharing.
Oh shit, it was my next question :(

And there it happens, pspeed has a paranoid attack. ^^

What are you smoking? Get back, my precious, not sharing growl

1 Like
@Empire Phoenix said: And there it happens, pspeed has a paranoid attack. ^^

What are you smoking? Get back, my precious, not sharing growl

This whole conversation is kind of funny because I don’t even drink alcohol and never have. :slight_smile: Caffeine is the closest I come to a ‘drug’ and I’ve had to cut way back because of blood pressure issues.

1 Like

Which coffee did you drink °_° ?

@pspeed said: This whole conversation is kind of funny because I don't even drink alcohol and never have. :) Caffeine is the closest I come to a 'drug' and I've had to cut way back because of blood pressure issues.

Wow… sounds like me. Aside from the blood pressure issue… I would probably do well with a Caffeine IV Drip. Not very often you meet someone else like this.

EDIT: Not saying I have never drank alcohol… just such a rare occurrence. And drugs and me never quite found a common ground… ever. Being HIGHLY allergic to THC put a stop to the thought when I was in my teens.

@toggy said: Which coffee did you drink °_° ?

Pepsi… before blood pressure issue… 7+ a day easily. Now I average about 1.5 and only drink it when I code. :slight_smile:

@t0neg0d said: Wow... sounds like me. Aside from the blood pressure issue... I would probably do well with a Caffeine IV Drip. Not very often you meet someone else like this.

EDIT: Not saying I have never drank alcohol… just such a rare occurrence. And drugs and me never quite found a common ground… ever. Being HIGHLY allergic to THC put a stop to the thought when I was in my teens.

Yeah, I just avoided all of it. Didn’t like the idea of killing my brain cells even if as the joke goes it’s the slow and lazy ones that die first. :slight_smile:

…forever the designated driver.

@t0neg0d said: Wow... sounds like me. Aside from the blood pressure issue... I would probably do well with a Caffeine IV Drip. Not very often you meet someone else like this.

@pspeed said: Pepsi... before blood pressure issue... 7+ a day easily. Now I average about 1.5 and only drink it when I code. :)

Yeah, I just avoided all of it. Didn’t like the idea of killing my brain cells even if as the joke goes it’s the slow and lazy ones that die first. :slight_smile:

…forever the designated driver.

It is funny, are you American ?
Because I am from Belgium and we drink alcohol often, of course not too many (one or two beers) and not every day but is in our culture (Belgium is a beer country and do some of the best beers in the world :stuck_out_tongue: ) and the law said we can drink beers when we are 16.

But I drink only coffee when I code, my teacher always said “launch build process and go drink a coffee during the build” or “oh you have a bug, go drink a coffee and come after you will find a solution for sure !” :slight_smile:

@toggy said: It is funny, are you American ? Because I am from Belgium and we drink alcohol often, of course not too many (one or two beers) and not every day but is in our culture (Belgium is a beer country and do some of the best beers in the world :p ) and the law said we can drink beers when we are 16.

But I drink only coffee when I code, my teacher always said “launch build process and go drink a coffee during the build” or “oh you have a bug, go drink a coffee and come after you will find a solution for sure !” :slight_smile:

I am an American but it’s also rare to not drink here. People are often shocked or wonder if I was an alcoholic once or something.

I have a friend who loves Belgian beer. :slight_smile:

1 Like
@pspeed said: I am an American but it's also rare to not drink here. People are often shocked or wonder if I was an alcoholic once or something.

I have a friend who loves Belgian beer. :slight_smile:

Yes I know (I see many videos of stupid teenagers… that is awful, they are ridiculous).

You have a friend with a right taste ! :slight_smile:

Funny thing is, I (as a german) dislike all beers, and only very rarly drink anything alcoholic.

Also I luckly was able to stop smoking before becoming to addicted to it.
Limited pocket money while you are a teenager really helps there :stuck_out_tongue: