Does jME have built in AI functions?

Questions is the topic. I saw this forum and read through some threads but I saw no code or functions specifically for AI from jME.

JME is just a scenegraph, AI you need to code

Ok. Also, I thought jME was a game engine? It has all the features a normal one has(except AI of course, but with the animation and stuff built into it, I imagine it is not that hard.

It has been talked about in the past. As i browsed through the older posts on the forum, it seemed to me that some years ago people even worked on an AI library that could be easily plugged (or merged) into jME. However that work seemed to stop at one point.

I think atm the reasoning behind not working on AI is that it is very hard to make a generic AI which is also really usable. Every game has its own requirements. Also since there is still so much to do on the scene-graph stuff itself and only a limited number of developers who contribute, working on AI seems of secondary importance. More than once has jME been referred to as a scene-graph engine, not a game engine… and as such I do not think AI will make it to the internals of jME ever.

However it would be quite possible to make an add-on project that would integrate well with jME. There are ample examples of these - MW3d, various importers, Physics, JGN etc. You are VERY welcome to add MonkeyAI to this list  :smiley:

Edit: Oh… and coding good effective AI IS hard… especially if you need to make it generic enough so that it could be used in different situations and games.

Pathfinding is quite a generic part of AI. I think jME could benefit from an A* implementation as well as a navigation mesh, being that it can be easily generated for any given scene. I actually started working on a navmesh implementation for jME but didn't really finish it, sort of lost motivation… If anybody wants I can share the code :slight_smile:

Yeah,  Momoko_Fan, could you share the code? I just wanted to implement simple stuff like pathfinding and FOV. I think there are enough posts about it around here that I can do it, and I will see about adding it to jME.

Well if you want to try and create a generic library… there is an A* jMe implementation available at jME demos site on google code. the A* part should be quite usable from there I think… though I would not know how to completely generalize it myself…

Ok, that would help.

Jedimace1 said:

Yeah,  Momoko_Fan, could you share the code? I just wanted to implement simple stuff like pathfinding and FOV. I think there are enough posts about it around here that I can do it, and I will see about adding it to jME.

The below website hostes a pathing implementation in Java. You might want to take a look at it.

http://www.jkilavuz.com/

The freeware version is limited, but it might get you going.

the wiki has also some great articles about AI, which can get you started.

AIGama

Core-Dump said:

AIGama

The idea of AIGama is good... but I have one problem... My mob is not facing the position of my character... I'm trying to figure out how to rotate my mob is a certain angle pointing at my character... Any idea on this?
viridia01 said:

Core-Dump said:

AIGama

The idea of AIGama is good... but I have one problem... My mob is not facing the position of my character... I'm trying to figure out how to rotate my mob is a certain angle pointing at my character... Any idea on this?

This topic was like 2 years old... It would have made more sense to start a new topic..

use the lookat() function