Does jMP or Netbeans has java browser like Eclipse?

Does jMP or Netbeans has java browser like Eclipse?

Picture of what I am talking about,

And about the SceneExplorer itself xD ?

Ctrl+7 brings up the Navigator which lets you view your class in various ways.

The Project view in Netbeans is like the Projects view in Eclipse.

Thereā€™s also no doubt some plugins that give you other views as well.

Theres a member browser etc, yeah. You can browse the libraries of one project using the ā€œLibrariesā€ node.

Sorry to dig this old corpse out of its grave, butā€¦

I too am looking for a Types-browser similar to the one in the first pic of the op.

I used to work with Visual Studio (2010 or so) in my last games job and they had something even better: it showed an overview of all C++ classes in their equivalent to the ā€˜Projectsā€™ explorer - you could toggle between files (.h .cpp etc.) and classes view - it listed all classes in a project (which is a ā€˜solutionā€™ in VS terms) and typing a letter key on the keyboard brought you to the class beginning with this letter. So knowing the name of the class or being able to view all class names often saved me a lot of time.

Iā€™m asking this, because Iā€™m spending a lot of time looking for classes in jME SDK - and even leaving all files open doesnā€™t help much, because in order to hold the number of .java files low, Iā€™m often using one .java file as a namespace which has sometimes 10 or 20 classes / interfaces inside as public static class or public static interface.

Of course you can click your way around and call ā€œfind Usageā€ and then there is the (wonderful) ā€œHierarchyā€ view which you can open via [Alt]+[Shift]+[F12]. But thereā€™s room for improvement.

Iā€™ve made a quick search for this, but all said ā€œuse the Navigatorā€ - which is a nice tool if youā€™ve found the right .java file already. But itā€™s not what Iā€™m looking for (see explanation above).

If anybody knows how to achieve what I want - please tell about itā€¦

:chimpanzee_nogood:

If you want to find your classes easily there a ā€œGo to typeā€ feature.

Depending of the keymap scheme you use :

• Eclipse : Ctrl + Shift + T
  • Emacs : Ctrl + O
  • Idea / Netbeans : Ctrl + N
  • Netbeans 5.5 : Alt + Shift + O
1 Like

Okay, tried this in jMP / jME3.0 SDK - with these results:

[Ctrl]+[N] ā†’ create [N]ew file (actually all file templates that are known - very cool hokey!)

[Alt]+[Shift]+[O] ā†’ search for file ā†’ quite cool, but doesnā€™t solve my problem

Obviously it seems like they assume that in Java everybody uses one file per class / interface. But I often declare an empty class and call it ā€œStructLikeClassesStuff.javaā€ and then have 10 or more interfaces and classes in this .java file which serves as a namespace only. Donā€™t know if this is better than having 10x times the number of .java files and also having only about 20 to 200 lines of code in each file. I like my current coding style more than I like having many .java files, but donā€™t know whatā€™s better.

But thanks, for those cases when I do follow the usual convention, this [Alt]+[Shift]+[O] is really nice help! :chimpanzee_amused:

EDIT: there are advantages of my coding style for the workflow - just the tool I need is missing. Seems like this is one of the rare cases where the recent version of Visual Studio for C++ outperforms NetBeans for Java (and maybe even Eclipse). I remember times when VS didnā€™t even have refactoring but Eclipse had it - some fellow students even tried to make their own IDE because of this missing featureā€¦ hehe

Just for note,

you can code whatever you want ( I donā€™t care if I dont pay you), but note, that usually you only do one class per file in java, so most IDEā€™s/tools are not designed to work with your coding style.
The most notable exeption being files you donā€™t want visible in other scopes, like hidden internal stuff.

1 Like

Thanks for your advice. Still need to learn a lot.

Now Iā€™m thinking about refactoring my code, but ~100 .java files would become ~400 .java files.
And I need to get used to the idea of having 5x30 lines of code instead of 1x150 lines of code.

Btw Iā€™m using this hidden internal stuff too - youā€™re probably right, that this is the intended use for inner classes.