Early performance notes

Ive been able to run the demo on 3 of my pc’s so far without any noticeable rendering issues.

nvidia 8800gt - Dual core AMD 2.9ghz, win xp.

Average 120 fps. @1024x768 windowed 16 bpp, 2xaa

nvidia n220 - Tri core AMD 3.0 ghz, win xp.

Average 120 fps. @1024x768 windowed 16 bpp, 2xaa

nvidia ion (net book) - Quad core 1.5 ghz win 7.

Average 25 fps. @ 800x600 windowed 16bpp, 2xaa.

Figured I would drop this early info here since it’s a nice new shinny forum and all :slight_smile:

Excellent start. Because I’m a completionist, I will add my own configurations in. :slight_smile:

Laptop: Intel Core Duo CPU T9500 @ 2.6 GHz/1.19 GHz

nVidia Quadro FX 1600M

Windows XP

Average 60 FPS @ 1280 x 720 windowed 24 bpp

Workstation: Dual AMD Athlon, 2.21 GHz

nVidia GeForce 9800 GTX

Windows XP

Average 80 FPS @ 1280x720 windowed 24 bpp

AMD Athlon LE-1640

nVidia GeForce 8400 GS

Linux Mint 8

Average 15 FPS @ 1280x720 windowed 24 bpp

PC Intel Core 2 CPU 6300 @ 1.86 GHz

2.0 GB Ram

32 Bit Windows 7

…NVidia Gforce 210

Running about 26fps

runs well on my machine, I get 40-200 fps in 1280x720 window.

PC E8400 dual core @3Ghz

2G ram

win32 xp sp3

nvidia geforce 8600GT.

OpenGL ver 2.1

Shader model vs_3_0.ps_3_0

nikrb said:
runs well on my machine, I get 40-200 fps in 1280x720 window.
PC E8400 dual core @3Ghz
2G ram
win32 xp sp3
nvidia geforce 8600GT.
OpenGL ver 2.1
Shader model vs_3_0.ps_3_0

Count me jealous, that's a pretty sweet ride. :)
-Paul

E8400 dual core 3GHz

4gb ram

HD 4850 512mb.

Ubuntu 10.10 32bit with Radeon driver. OpenGL 2.1

1280x720 windowed, 0xAA

fps jumping between 30 and 40 :slight_smile: Lowest I saw was 25. When looking down to the ground I got 60 even without VSync. It’s like that in other jME games too so I think it’s something with my drivers.

Note: Ubuntu+ATI is no good combination. I’m using an open source driver sine ATIs official closed source driver made many jME games crash 5seconds after start.

I’ll try the game next time i boot with XP if i remember.

pspeed said:
Count me jealous, that's a pretty sweet ride. :)
-Paul

nah, only cost a few hundred quid; qmark(?) gave a low 'score'.
Perhaps I should point out the 200 fps was at the highest point of the world looking straight up with nothing but sky visible.
nikrb said:
nah, only cost a few hundred quid; qmark(?) gave a low 'score'.
Perhaps I should point out the 200 fps was at the highest point of the world looking straight up with nothing but sky visible.

I'm sorry to say that makes me feel better about my own hardware.

The version I'm releasing on Monday will have settable clip distance which should help up the frame rates on some of these machines.

Tested it on my gaming rig… :wink:

I run 300+ FPS while looking around at spawn point. Pretty good build.

Rig:

Windows 7 x64 HP

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550

8 GB DDR2

Water-cooled

GTX 480 (1536 MB DDR5)

1280x720 basic. Nothing else.

Pretty much what I expected.

The version I’m releasing on Monday will have settable clip distance which should help up the frame rates on some of these machines.

Don't get the wrong idea speed, I think it's great, 40fps not fast enough for you?!
imho I'd rather see as much as possible, seeing the distant landscape in the mist is (very) aesthetically pleasing ;)

@nikrb I’m with you… bigger clip is better. In fact the only reason I haven’t extended it further is because it drops a serious number of frames every time the camera crosses a boundary… or I’d push it up even higher. I keep trying to think of ways I can optimize that but I’m really pushing the limits.

That being said, on some machines I’m only getting 15-16 FPS and when you are trying to build, that’s kind of choppy. In those cases, it’s nice to be able to hit F12 and cycle to a lower clip distance… even if only temporarily.

WASD said:
E8400 dual core 3GHz
4gb ram
HD 4850 512mb.
Ubuntu 10.10 32bit with Radeon driver. OpenGL 2.1
1280x720 windowed, 0xAA

fps jumping between 30 and 40 :) Lowest I saw was 25. When looking down to the ground I got 60 even without VSync. It's like that in other jME games too so I think it's something with my drivers.

Note: Ubuntu+ATI is no good combination. I'm using an open source driver sine ATIs official closed source driver made many jME games crash 5seconds after start.
I'll try the game next time i boot with XP if i remember.

Same computer booted with XP:
115-135 fps looking around. 570fps looking straight down :)

I really like Ubuntu but windows performs better in games :/ It has to do with my ATI card and drivers as well.

I tried two builds now, both crash with the Exception:

Uncaught exception from thread:Thread[LWJGL Renderer Thread,5,main]

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Cannot render mesh without shader bound

at com.jme3.renderer.lwjgl.LwjglRenderer.setVertexAttrib(LwjglRenderer.java:1945)

at com.jme3.renderer.lwjgl.LwjglRenderer.setVertexAttrib(LwjglRenderer.java:1950)

at com.jme3.renderer.lwjgl.LwjglRenderer.renderMeshDefault(LwjglRenderer.java:2151)

at com.jme3.renderer.lwjgl.LwjglRenderer.renderMesh(LwjglRenderer.java:2184)

at com.jme3.material.Material.renderMultipassLighting(Material.java:659)

at com.jme3.material.Material.render(Material.java:851)

at com.jme3.renderer.RenderManager.renderGeometry(RenderManager.java:434)

at com.jme3.renderer.queue.RenderQueue.renderGeometryList(RenderQueue.java:136)

at com.jme3.renderer.queue.RenderQueue.renderQueue(RenderQueue.java:187)

at com.jme3.renderer.RenderManager.renderViewPortQueues(RenderManager.java:575)

at com.jme3.renderer.RenderManager.flushQueue(RenderManager.java:555)

at com.jme3.renderer.RenderManager.renderViewPort(RenderManager.java:721)

at com.jme3.renderer.RenderManager.render(RenderManager.java:742)

at com.jme3.app.SimpleApplication.update(SimpleApplication.java:249)

at com.jme3.system.lwjgl.LwjglAbstractDisplay.runLoop(LwjglAbstractDisplay.java:158)

at com.jme3.system.lwjgl.LwjglDisplay.runLoop(LwjglDisplay.java:203)

at com.jme3.system.lwjgl.LwjglAbstractDisplay.run(LwjglAbstractDisplay.java:221)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

System: Windows7, ATI Radeon 1900 (old but has full OpenGL 2.0 support).

The jMonkey examples are running fine.

This usually means one of my shaders failed to compile… but since it was reported as a warning/log just ahead of this exception, we can’t see it. :frowning:

I don’t know how to see the console output when running the windows .exe. Maybe someone else knows.

However, in the mean time, if you were kind enough to grab like the linux version and run the mythruna jar directly from the command line (java -jar … etc.) I’d really appreciate knowing if there was a GL shader compile warning/error right before that and if so… what it is.

Super badly want to get these issues fixed if possible. Thanks.

Hi all,

I’m new here. First, congrats for Mythruna: lightning is beautiful and walking on water is very fun :smiley:

But I want to give feedback about framerate. I am on pentium dualcore, with 2 go Ram and geforce (128Mo), on ubuntu 10.04, and Mythruna doesn’t work on it (0 fps); i had to change graphic card (nvidia 256Mo) to execute it with 18-45 fps (45 on basement, 18 outside).

With geforce (128Mo), Minecraft works well. Engine is not the same, but Minecraft’s world is bigger (no?) than Mythruna.

however, since january it’s a great work, congrats again !

Thanks.

Mythruna runs with the same size world (infinite) as Minecraft… and starts at the same clip as Minecraft on max clip (well, what used to be max clip now I think they go as far as Mythruna’s max… I haven’t measured recently).

There is no doubt that Mythruna clobbers the card a lot harder than Minecraft. I use way bigger textures and don’t yet use a texture atlas. I can’t guarantee that Minecraft uses a texture atlas but if they don’t then it’s really silly… ’cause they are perfectly setup for it, ie: no mipmapped textures, tiny textures, etc…

On your 128Mo, try reducing the clip to see if that helps. Also, if you are walking on water then I already know you are running an older version… since I added swimming eventually. :slight_smile: I don’t know if the newer version is faster, but maybe.

At some point, I’ll make a bigger push to improve performance but Mythruna will always be more hungry than Minecraft.

I’ve already tried with 320x240 with same result : 0 fps

Unfortunely, I’ve tried the newer version with my ‘bigger’ card, but with 0 fps; i couldn’t try swimming :frowning:

btw, my opengl version is 2.1.2

You can see on this screenshot (with small card at 800x600), loading is not complete and it’s 07:46 AM

I can see that the clip is at 160 m. Hitting F12 twice will reduce this to the minimum of 64. Reducing the window size should really matter much.

I’d be interested to know if it has thrown an exception at this point… because the game looks to only be displaying the very nearest tiles like if clip was set to 32 (which it can’t be.)

It’s odd that things got so much worse with the upgrade… but maybe that was the grass.

Could you provide more specifics about the graphics cards you’re using? Knowing that it has 128MB memory is not quite enough…

I have two cards with 128MB memory, a GeForce 5200 and a GeForce 8400M. The former runs Mythruna at 0 fps and the latter at 18 fps with default clip value, and at 60 fps with lowest clip value. It makes quite a difference at what generation the card is, as the GeForce 5000 series for example, had horrible shader performance.