Eclipse + Android SDK + jME3 SDK - Example app wouldn't start

Hi,

i’m stumped.

I use Eclipse (Indigo 64bit) with the Android SDK and JDK 7.

From Git I’ve downloaded this example https://github.com/latestpost/JMonkey3-Android-Examples, made a new Android project and add the external jars (in the jar-folder) to the projects buildpath.

The virtual device is using the Android version 2.3.3.

If i click on ‘Run’ to start the app on the virtual device, it took a while and eclipse throw some errors. Nothing happens on the device!

Here are the errors.

First:

Unable to execute dex: GC overhead limit exceeded

GC overhead limit exceeded

Second:

Internal error - An out of memory error has occured.

Third:

Android Launch - Your project contains error(s), please fix them before running your application.

Fourth:

An internal error occurred during: “Building workspace”.

GC overhead limit exceeded

Now, the Android project shows a little error flag at the project icon, but there are no marked errors in the files!

Cleaning project files or using the ‘Fix project properties’ in the Android Tools doesn’t have any effect.

Eclipse reacts very slow on mouse actions.

After restart all works fine, Eclipse reacts fast and the shown error at the project icon is gone.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

Greetings

If you’re new to Java and IDE’s in general, please use our recommended method of install:

https://wiki.jmonkeyengine.org/legacy/doku.php

To get started you don’t need anything else than the jMonkeyEngine 3 SDK by itself. It’s a powerful IDE, just as powerful as Eclipse and with more jME3-specific features. Once you’ve got the jME SDK successfully set up, continue on to the Android section:

https://wiki.jmonkeyengine.org/legacy/doku.php/jme3:android

Keep in mind that Android is an advanced topic.

I’ve installed the jME3 SDK 3.0beta IDE too, but it doesn’t work correctly on my system (lots of errors from couldn’t change properties from objects till context menues that looks like destroyed)

I’m sad about this, because Eclipse doesn’t have a scene editor and so on.

:brainsout:

Try using jdk6

1 & 2

Editing your eclipse.ini file and making sure -Xms is 512m and -Xmx is 1024m or higher should fix this.

Also i think you will be unable to run jme3 stuff on the emulator anyways, you need a real phone.

Hi,

if i’m using compiler compliance level 1.6, the following error occures:

[2011-10-31 20:17:52 - Dex Loader] Unable to execute dex: Java heap space

[2011-10-31 20:17:54 - JM3Examples] Conversion to Dalvik format failed: Unable to execute dex: Java heap space

EDIT: hi siqved,

“Editing your eclipse.ini file and making sure -Xms is 512m and -Xmx is 1024m or higher should fix this.”

ok i’m trying this right now.

“Also i think you will be unable to run jme3 stuff on the emulator anyways, you need a real phone”

I have a real phone too, but it should be possible, if i create a .apk and pull it on the virtual device over command line.

androphin said:
I have a real phone too, but it should be possible, if i create a .apk and pull it on the virtual device over command line.

no it's not possible, the emulator only supports openglES 1.0, JME needs openglES2.0 as a minimum requirement.

It works!

Increase the minimum and maximum amount for Java’s allocated RAM is the solution.

@nehon:

Are you sure?

As Froyo (Android 2.2) was released, Android-Team mentioned that it is only currently not supported by the emulator. Do you know whether it’s still in these days?

Thanks

I’m sure yes, but you can easily check that for yourself.