Editor: jMonkeyBuilder

That’s why I said almost sure :p.
In any case that’s still a poor choice to me. Anyways…

Yeah, I agree, it’s a reason why I like to see tickets with feature requests on bitbucket, because I look at the editor as editor’s developer and I don’t see not clearly things there :slight_smile: I like to implement things which improves usability of the editor :slight_smile:

Noice. Thanks!

1 Like

I think that in blender it can also be done (and it’s very common)

About convention, in many cases shortcuts are done based on the key position on the keyboard, so where the program uses WASD in querty, it should use ZQSD in azerty, so it should be changed depending on your keyboard configuration. That was my second proposal (you can choose which keyboard you have and the shortcuts adapt).

Is there an automagic way to make this?, like localization for languages but for keyboards?.
This wouldn’t be for name-based shortcuts but useful for position-based ones.

it’s not like that in JME unfortunately… So you might need special handling to do this.

I think I will make a new release of jMB tomorrow(with some fixes), but it will be without shader nodes plugin.

Alright, I’ll give it a shot and update this post with the results. Thank you for at least some direction regardless!

I already warned him that this is not so convenient way of screen manipulation. I understand that the majority of engines uses WASD (Source2 SFM/Hammer, Unity, CryEngine, Lumberyard, UE4…) but actually, WASD is hard for real work with scenes. It is easier to pan around a linked object with the middle button. There is a reason why 3d software try not to use a keyboard for manipulation - shortcuts, but this is not the reason (we have fewer shortcuts in the engine) why we should use keyboard for manipulation in the game engine editor.

@javasabr Probably you should implement more viewport and shortcuts functionality for the viewport manipulation. I will make ticket for that on bitbucket

ver. 1.3.0
-Updated static light probes.
-Implemented the import model action.
-Updated jME libraries.
-Fixed some bugs.

2 Likes

Could we have a teapot model in Material File Editor?

you can create a ticket about this with the attached model which you want to see there :wink:

1 Like

@yan: I vote for blender’s “Suzanne” instead. Fits the jMonkeyBuilder better.

hahaha

I vote blender style because blender is the de facto for jme, and its hard enough getting my head around that to figure another one out. It would be a seamless and welcome transition from ide to ide, too.

In my day job, back when we did cool 3D visualization stuff we had really nice mouse controls.

Clicking the left button on anything and dragging would move the camera in an orbit around the point clicked. Clicking the middle button and dragging would do “strafing and fwd/back” relative to the direction you were looking… and fwd/back was relative to the point you clicked. We could zoom all over the data this way and get around very fast. It is by far the best navigation scheme I’ve found for moving around a scene when I need to look at specific things. It’s not very standard, though, I guess.

The point… we had this going that way for several years… we constantly had to train new users how to do it.

Finally, on a whim we added a spacebar toggle that would enable “Quake mode” as we called it. This enabled mouse look + WASD.

I cannot tell you the amount of times we had users call us up and thank us specifically for this. It’s just a super intuitive way to get around for anyone who has played a first person shooter in the last 20 years.

Personally, I found Blender’s controls super annoying when I first used it. I still feel constantly uncomfortable moving around in that tool. It’s a bizarre scheme that experienced blender users are only proponents of because they already went through the pain of learning it. :wink:

It’s like Photoshop’s GUI… it’s horrible. Almost everything about it is really stupid. I love it, though, because I had to learn it 20 years ago over a weekend to design some web sites for NASA and so now I’ve already gotten over the pain. (me, a book, a CD of really cool NASA photos, and lots of yelling) I’m not going to lie about how poopy it is, though. :slight_smile:

“I like the way blender does it because I use blender” is not a good excuse for bucking the trend.

3 Likes

Where can I look at in a real application?

I don’t think I have any JME apps that implement this. This was work I did for a customer in 2002-2005 or so.

Edit: but note that it’s not hard to implement.

Actually i think the game black and white does that. Iv been spending time watching it for that very purpose.

@javasabr

I have a question when translate the messages_ZH_cn.properties file.

in jmonkeybuilder/src/main/resources/messages/messages.properties line 170

ModelFileEditorNodeComputedCollisionShape=Generated collision shape

When jMonkeyBuilder did the “ComputedCollisionShape”, do you use CompoundCollisionShape or something else?

Yes, it uses CompoundCollisionShape :slight_smile: