Engine for football game

It looks like lots of sprites … Bang Howdy acheived alot with sprights.

Suggest you learn the basics of java and find a forum for those questions. Also, do spend time going through the wiki, examples and the tutorials before posting just in case your answer lies in the documents already provided.

I already posess Java knowledge necessary to implement most of the code, but JMonkey and 3f engines are totally new for me. Could You provide me with some links to resources that are corresponding to the topic of my project?

Best regards.

If you're just having a textured quad for the field and then some more quads for the players hovering over the field like checkers on a board, you're not going to have many problems. You could even use those locations for the position of a model at a later stage and move it in exactly the same way.

JME comes with a crateload of tests, I'd suggest looking at the TestQuad one first, and then figuring how to texture the highlighted circle using the TestBox test. Then you just have a collection of these objects.

Challenges:

*  How do you make sure the yard lines on the football field image match up to players?

*  Do the players move? How so? In straight lines? Curves? At different speeds?

*  Do you need hit detection to stop players walking through each other?

*  Will you need an editor to place your markers in certain formations for different plays?

jiminy said:

Challenges:
*   How do you make sure the yard lines on the football field image match up to players?
*   Do the players move? How so? In straight lines? Curves? At different speeds?
*   Do you need hit detection to stop players walking through each other?
*   Will you need an editor to place your markers in certain formations for different plays?

1) I don't understand the problem here. Some example perhaps? :)
2) Yes they do. I would like to implement basic routes and tasks for players. So I will have to implement moving players around the football field in any direction (lines, curves, etc.). I also have to assume that they do move at different speed, since this is how it works in real life.
3) Well, there are two approaches, I guess. One is to perform all necessary calculations "of the field" (in my main application) and thus - avoid colisions in my engine. Second approach - include colision detection (avoidance?) in engine. I think I will go with the first one, due to my lack of experience.
4) This is exactly what I have in mind. The goal is to create an engine which can be used as a playbook designer or as a presentation layer for football simulator. In both cases I have to be able to provide user with ability to edit formations (thus - players) as one might want.

Thanks for Your interest guys. Exactly this kind of help I expected. Helps me to find the hard milestones of my design.

EDIT:
one more thing - cameras. I was thinking about creating from ten to twenty fixed points for position of the camera around the line of scrimage (this is called relative positioning, right?) and then provide user with ability of smoothly switching the camera's angle by tapping dirrectional buttons. Do You think this is hard to achieve? I don't think so...

Hi!  I'm new to jME but I would be interested in helping.

Prior to this I created a 2d world in 3d with a similar view perspective for an action game with DirectX 8.0 (it included a 3d first person view you could toggle on).

In Java, using Java2d, I created a top-down view point for another simple action game.

Now here I am with jME and I am cautiously optimistic.

This could be just the type of project that I can focus on to help improve my jME skillz.

What kind of help would you be looking for?  :slight_smile:

Honestly I don't know yet :slight_smile: Probably I will post my problems here as soon as I start working on my engine. And I'm pretty sure there will be lots of them  :smiley: