Enhanced Particle Shader WIP Video

I’ve been doing some work on beefing up particles, I would like to use them for a bunch more stuff so some enhancements are on the cards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45LkMVZUHJY&hd=1

All the info is really in the video, make sure you watch at 720p.

Performance is virtually the same as the standard particle. At high FPS (800+) the new particles tend to be 3%-5% slower, but are far less susceptible to frame rate drops, and over time end up running faster. BUT .... this level of performance probably won't stand up by the time I have finished all the enhancements.

I was going to wait until I had finished completely to share this but its ended up taking a lot of time, so an WIP update video it is, so I can feel like I have actually accomplished something.

Take it easy
James
6 Likes

Thats really cool!!! Particle system for fog like in halflife2/left4dead2!!! Great work!

As always, I’m glad to invite you to my shader library as a developer! http://code.google.com/p/jme-glsl-shaders/

The more people have professional shaders the better projects will rise on JME.

yh dam thats hawt

Hooo soft particles, i was willing to add that to the engine!!

So how do you do that? usually you need the depth buffer and blend particles according to depth.

I want details!!! or I won’t help you for the my multi depth pass issue :evil: mwhahahahah

The plan has been to share this one all along.

Thanks @mifth :slight_smile: I think I would prefer just to release to code and let people nab it if they want :wink:

@nehon you diva!

I don’t have many details to give until we can fix that issue I’m afraid. At the moment its a Frankenstein mash of soft and spherical particle techniques, plus some custom blending and blurring, and other junk.

Thank you man!!! I would prefer to put it in the JME core too!!! @nehon you are cool!!!

I love you guys!!!

@thetoucher Any planns to release this absolutely beautiful soft particles addition?

@larda yep, I do plan to share this when it’s finished, or close enough. I’ve been a bit busy of late, I will hopefully get back onto this next week some time.

1 Like