Essence Editor [Character Perspective v1.0 release 05/11/09]

Essence Editor

Project Home Page

============================= Description ==================================

Essence Editor is an editing tool chain developed for Project Essence on top of Java Monkey Engine version 2.0. It includes a character editing perspective that allows creation and editing of animated, particle effect decorated character sets. And a world editing perspective that allows terrain sculpting, texture painting, static entity placements, light placements and advanced atmospherical effect editing of the world.

Official Project Essence Blog

=========================== Current Versions ================================

Essence Editor Character Perspective for Windows - v1.0

Essence Editor Character Perspective for MacOSX - v1.0

Aeon-Pipeline - v1.0

MD5Importer-Concurrent-v1.0

jME2.0-Snapshot-0511

=========================== Installation Instruction =============================

1. Windows version. Directly unzip the zip file and double click on "Essence Editor.exe".

2. MacOSX version. Directly unzip the zip file and double click on "Essence Editor"

Note: The editor is a standalone application. No other library files are needed for the use of editor itself

============================= Usage Instruction ===============================

This is the instruction of how to use exported binary mesh and animation files. Not the editor itself.

3. In order to use the exported binary mesh and animation files in your application, you need to include two library files, jME2.0 and Aeon-Pipeline. See example source code for detailed usage instructions.

4. It is also suggested to use the released corresponding jME2.0 snapshot on this site for best compatibility.

============================== Tutorial Lessons ===============================

Essence Editor Tutorial - Lesson 1 Creating a new character

Essence Editor Tutorial - Lesson 2 Adding animations to character

Essence Editor Tutorial - Lesson 3 Adding textures to character

Essence Editor Tutorial - Lesson 4 Adding particle effect to character

Essence Editor Tutorial - Lesson 5 Import binary exported mesh file

=============================== Preview Image ===============================

wow this will be extremely helpful especially to new individuals starting work with the engine great work man

btw does Essence only support the md5 format?

very nice. good work

Looks like a great tool  :smiley:

Bonechilla said:

wow this will be extremely helpful especially to new individuals starting work with the engine great work man

btw does Essence only support the md5 format?

yes. we only use md5 here for skeletal animation.

if anyone can write a good importer for other formats like collada. we'd happy to add that in to the editor.

Wow, nice work as always,  neakor!

Greetz

snare

snareoj2 said:

Wow, nice work as always,  neakor!

Greetz
snare

thx for the support.

but this is not just my work. our lead engineer Tim also helped alot

Wow, this will really help in the production of my game!!! Awesome job!  :smiley:

Is this tool Windows-only?

blaine said:

Is this tool Windows-only?

Looks like there's a Mac complilation at the top too.

neakor said:

Essence Editor Character Perspective for MacOSX - v1.0

That's too bad.  I'm a Linux guy.

blaine said:

none of our team members uses linux so sorry.

but we can release the raw jar file. maybe u can compile it urself.
neakor said:

blaine said:

none of our team members uses linux so sorry.

but we can release the raw jar file. maybe u can compile it urself.

That would be great.  I could send you an Ant build file or whatever-needs-doing for the remaining Linux parts if you have any interest in providing Linux support more generally.

not going to be able to get to this until the evening, but just for clarity how do u put it together, maybe missed it somewhere, but do I simply put the jars in the editor folder or… :?

mcbeth said:

not going to be able to get to this until the evening, but just for clarity how do u put it together, maybe missed it somewhere, but do I simply put the jars in the editor folder or................ :?

no u dont need to do that. we pre-compiled the jar and libraries. if u just follow the installation directions above, ulll be fine.
blaine said:

That would be great.  I could send you an Ant build file or whatever-needs-doing for the remaining Linux parts if you have any interest in providing Linux support more generally.

we just uploaded the raw jar file. u can compile it with the proper lwjgl, jme, md5importer and aeon-pipeline jars urself.

unfortunately we cannot support linux here since none of us uses linux.
neakor said:

blaine said:

we just uploaded the raw jar file. u can compile it with the proper lwjgl, jme, md5importer and aeon-pipeline jars urself.

unfortunately we cannot support linux here since none of us uses linux.

Understood.  Thanks very much for accommodating.

hmm any feedback? is everything working alright?  :?

Hello,

Looks great!!

I have a question. How can I export my model to MD5 to after import to Essence Editor??

Thanks.

Regards.

Himura said:

Hello,

Looks great!!

I have a question. How can I export my model to MD5 to after import to Essence Editor??

Thanks.
Regards.

we dont have a video tutorial on exporting yet.

but its quite simple. first, u dont export ur character set back to md5 as it would not be able to preserve the modifications uve made. so u use the export function under the file menu, and export the set to mesh and animation binary files.

look at the wiki section on the project Google code page. there's an example on how to load the exported mesh binary file into ur game.