Extending/Developing for jME3 IDE w/ Netbeans

Hi all,

I’ve noticed that the actual topic for integrating cool tools/tech into the standalone JME3 SDK kit is limited to the wiki page, so I thought I would post a topic for those wanting to learn about where they could start down that road. I am starting down that road, myself, so I’ll be dropping posts here.

Why create the thread? Well, I like the SDK IDE layout we got going on here, I just want more cool tools and data views at my disposal, and I am still at the point of … well… “dur?” ← Yes, a very technical term, I know. So I think it would be cool to be able to create the tools I want to use to make my game. The best part is that I could use it in my copy of JME and share them with everyone that likes the tools as well.

So, to start the ball rolling on this thread, I’ve located a great video!
[video]
Five Simple Ways to Extend NetBeans IDE - YouTube
Its a workflow video that outlines how to add MenuItems/ToolbarIcons/Windows to a Netbeans IDE (the jME3 IDE uses this structure, too) so that that part of the JAVA/XML/ANT interaction is clarified.

Oh, and of course, the link to the Wiki page:

But, yeah, I want to contribute and make the JME3 dev. cycle for a game even easier! and this is one of my baby steps towards that goal.

Game On,
Charles Anderson/Relic724
Project: Iteag
“Because Ninja Punk Rocker Gangs don’t kidnap the Vice-President’s Daughter like they used to”

3 Likes

Hey guys,

Just dropping another tidbit onto this thread. I think I’ll try my hand at expanding the IDE by creating a Visual Editor for t0neg0d’s GUI plugin. So, here’s my personal take on a possible solution: Introducing the Netbeans MultiView class.

[video]http://youtu.be/Z9wK0D4Mols[/video]

It’s gonna be a lot of work, but I’ll keep dropping videos into this thread for each of the noteworthy mentions in coding and extending for jME.

<crosslink> http://hub.jmonkeyengine.org/forum/topic/t0neg0d-gui-visual-editor-jmonkeyengine-idenetbeans-7-3-1-integrated/ </crosslink

Game On,
Charles Anderson/Relic724
Project: Iteag

4 Likes

Great stuff! I’ve had this same thought in the back of my mind for a while, even to the point of starting reading up on some of the same things you have here.

The fact there is now a Layout system in tonegod should help with this (i’m thinking you could maybe write a new Layout impl to mimic the GroupLayout that the designer seems to spit out for Swing.

Anyway, you have a tester here if and when you need one :slight_smile:

RR

@rockfire :
Thank You for the suggestion and “Yes, that will pretty much be what I will do when I serialize the appstate”. And yes, I will need testers for the various platforms, mainly because I dev in a Windows environment. I will make sure to give a heads-up.

<off-topic>
I’ve made this thread because 7-8 months ago I started my “Project: Iteag”, and though I could “with the knowledge I’ve gained thus far” make my game, It would be a lot of hitting the code. So, for myself and the way that I think, I want more integrated tools to automate the “boring” process of mistyping and correcting dsyxleic finger slippages to something more visual.

Oh, and others will probably want to make tools, as well. =D
Thus, this thread, under the documentation category, for those who are doing as I am… “catching up on the learning curve” and hopefully arming some other monkeys so that they can help out with @normen 's tool list. I just picked @t0neg0d 's GUI for a target project to try and integrate as a visual tool because: It isn’t already in the works, that I know of.
I will go ahead and create a thread specifically for the project and link in the NetBeans side of the videos here for references, to try and keep this thread as pure as possible for documentation on how to create “a tool” for jMonkeyEngine.

feel free to private message me, or to publicly drop tidbits on General NetBeans deving for the jMonkeyEngine’s environment of NetBeans 7.3.1. … It might be stuff I should definitely consider, as well.
</off-topic>

2 Likes

Yo all,

Here’s another tip in the chain. The example I am using is for a multiview component, but take note that the best rendering/sizing control was a TopComponent->JPanel->Component setup.

[video]http://youtu.be/wEV8LNFCr7M[/video]

So, yeah, SceneApplication and SceneListener/SceneRequest are the main keywords. I tried to make sure to include as many of the concepts I learned as I could think of to blurt in this tip. Hope it helps.

Game On,
Charles Anderson

1 Like