Fayd

Is this the right way to implement the TerrainLodControl?

[java]Spatial terrain = assetManager.loadModel(“Scenes/Fayd.j3o”);
terrain.setLocalTranslation(500, -45, 0);
rootNode.attachChild(terrain);

TerrainLodControl lodControl = rootNode.getChild("terrain-Fayd").getControl(TerrainLodControl.class);
    if (lodControl != null) {
        lodControl.setCamera(this.cam);
    }[/java] 

Because it seems to have a negative impact on my FPS … I now get 20 FPS without bloom filters

Sorry, I don’t know much about tuning LOD, but it’s supposed to be an optimization. If it’s not helping, disable it!

By the way, I’ve written an app state to monitor performance in the sense that @8Keep123 and @Empire Phoenix were discussing. It’s included in my utilities package (the same one that includes SkyControl) and it’s easy to use. Just disable StatsAppState, instantiate the new app state, and attach it:
[java]
StatsAppState jmeStats = stateManager.getState(StatsAppState.class);
stateManager.detach(jmeStats);
PerformanceAppState perfStats = new PerformanceAppState();
stateManager.attach(perfStats);
[/java]

Hello everyone.

I read a lot of tutorials and experimented a lot in the last weeks and now I came to the soulution that I create my world using world-machine and then make a .j3o scene in which I import the heightmap. There I paint the terrain and save the alphamaps and also import the other objects like houses etc. into the scene. After that I delete the terrain in the scene and therefore only have a scene with the objects (maybe I also seperate the scene into more smaller scenes … I often got the memory error while loading too big scenes).
So then when I have the heightmap, the alphamaps and the scenes I load them individually and throw them all together. And because my world will eventually be an island I included a fractal terrain grid as the bottom of the ocean.
The only problem I currently have are the sizes. For example when I set the camera movespeed to 2f it is very slow. If 1f would be 1 metre, 2f movespeed would be 7,2 km/h or 4,5 mph which is a bit more then the average walking speed IRL. I’m very confused with all the world units and sizes and would be happy if someone could help me with that.
Apart from that, how do you like my idea of loading the world?

3 m/sec is a pretty typical game walking speed. Games often ramp things up to make them feel better. For example, most games also double the gravity constant.