(February 2014) Monthly WIP Screenshot Thread

A shot from a model I’m working on. Of course for a JME game (for android). This quite demonstrate the magic of normal mapping.

the first model was sculpted in blender, the second one is to make some illustrations for the game (could also be used as an actual real time model for a desktop game) and the third one is for the actual game on android. Both mid and low poly models were made from retopology of the high res model.
Only normal mapping, still got a lot of work to do on this model.

9 Likes

@nehon Well ya definitely have my interest peaked into what sort of game you’re making exactly. Jeebus that’s some crazy detail. I’m getting a sort of Final Fantasy vibe from the character design.

@madjack said: Nope. We're all batshit crazy and imagining things. Not one of you is real. You're all fabrications, a work of cerebral fiction.

12 internet points for those that see the contradiction! :stuck_out_tongue:

I refuse to read that properly and have decided to read it as cereal fiction. Shot gun on Captain Crunch in this fantasy we’ve concocted here.

@thecyberbob said: @nehon Well ya definitely have my interest peaked into what sort of game you're making exactly. Jeebus that's some crazy detail. I'm getting a sort of Final Fantasy vibe from the character design.
Well I guess there is a little of final fantasy as I've played a lot of them over and over. I'm making a kind of GameBook for smart phone and tablet. You know the kind of book where you choose your path with dice rolls and evil character trying to block your way. I do this with a friend, He does the android part, I do the JME part. On the artistic work, he writes the story and made some musics, and I make the 3D models. That's a loooog endeavor, and we already down scoped the game numerous times :p. This is the Hero. I decided to go in all possibly known stereotypes for a hero, that's maybe why you have a FF feeling about him :p The game is almost done, but "almost" always contains a bit more than you'd like :p It'll be available only in french at first, then if we meet some success we'll translate it in english.
@nehon said: You know the kind of book where you choose your path with dice rolls and evil character trying to block your way.

Do you mean something like te reboot of the fighting fantasy games like sorcery?

http://www.pockettactics.com/features/guest-posts/inkles-jon-ingold-rebooting-adventure-steve-jacksons-sorcery/

Have you had a look at their tool for writing that stuff?

And no, I have nothing to do with that company…

Any screens, or art from your book? or a screenshot of your tablet/phone with that game as a teaser? What are you using jme for?

Yep something like that.
Nope I haven’t tried their tool, that looks interesting.
No screens for now, but soon hopefully.
We use JME to render dices that are rolling when you attempt an action when reading, and all combat phases are with 3D model. That’s kind of old school, each opponent in a corner of the screen and per turn actions, combined with dice rolls and gestures…

@nehon said: We use JME to render dices that are rolling when you attempt an action when reading, and all combat phases are with 3D model. That's kind of old school, each opponent in a corner of the screen and per turn actions, combined with dice rolls and gestures....

I remember you posting a video of this… it was really great looking. Well… it had the fight sequences in it anyways. I remember it looking to be turn based as well.

Thank you, I hope people will find if fun too :p.

@nehon said: A shot from a model I'm working on. Of course for a JME game (for android). This quite demonstrate the magic of normal mapping. the first model was sculpted in blender, the second one is to make some illustrations for the game (could also be used as an actual real time model for a desktop game) and the third one is for the actual game on android. Both mid and low poly models were made from retopology of the high res model. Only normal mapping, still got a lot of work to do on this model.

Looks really cool! Very impressive!

@t0neg0d said: I've only been working on this for a little while now... so be kind:

I hoping to replace the blue box with a game… very soon.

Hi, this is something that is puzzling me:
You have 1 box rendered, that is: 8 vertices, 12 triangles and 1 object.
How come the count in the statistics view is not anything like that?

@remy_vd said: Hi, this is something that is puzzling me: You have 1 box rendered, that is: 8 vertices, 12 triangles and 1 object. How come the count in the statistics view is not anything like that?

Box has swallowed an elephant.

@abies said: Box has swallowed an elephant.

I just did a test with the same result, so no elephants involved :wink:

@remy_vd / Remy Van Doosselaer
the statistics probably? must be renderd as well.

1 Like
@Empire Phoenix said: @remy_vd / Remy Van Doosselaer the statistics probably? must be renderd as well.

Wouldn’t that only be 1 more object and 4 more verts though?

@javagame said: Wouldn't that only be 1 more object and 4 more verts though?

Nope, each letter in bitmaps is a quad with 4 vertices ^^

Yeah, I think the stats text is 15 objects or so. As Haze says, each letter is 4 vertexex and two triangles.

14 lines of text and one quad background.

Given that you start with 476 tris, subtract 12 for the box: 464
Another 2 for stats background quad: 462
Divide by 14 lines: 33
And then by 2 to get quads: 16.5
…so rough guess is an average 16.5 characters per line. Which looks about right I guess.

There is one object I can’t account for so I’m not sure what that is.

Note: in a debugger you could look at the scene graph for rootNode and guiNode.

All this time I thought it was rendered to a texture and put on a quad…

@javagame said: All this time I thought it was rendered to a texture and put on a quad...

No, that would in fact be a lot more data to transfer per update and would require redrawing it per frame or semi-complicated logic to only redraw it when changed.

As it is now, the meshes are small and are only updated when the text changes for that particular BitmapText.

1 Like
@remy_vd said: Hi, this is something that is puzzling me: You have 1 box rendered, that is: 8 vertices, 12 triangles and 1 object. How come the count in the statistics view is not anything like that?

Probably shouldn’t post this here… but I wanted to mention this because at some point it will save you a ton of hair pulling trying to figure out what is wrong:

A cube (if you want sharp edges) is actually 24 verts, not 8.

If it was 8, the normals would be really messed up for 4 of the 6 sides… or all sides if they were averaged.

Not important… I know… but just thought I’d mention it.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVK3e8dRlbs[/video]
[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTaoB1m5h9s[/video]

The moon (Io in this case) is rendered off-screen and then composited into the sky using SkyControl. The dark areas of the moon, which look black at night, turn blue during the day, yet stars do not shine through them.

3 Likes
@sgold said: The dark areas of the moon, which look black at night, turn blue during the day, yet stars do not shine through them.

You know that I have never noticed it in real life… but it kind of makes sense now when I think about it.

I blame light pollution. With 20 stars total visible during a night, hard to notice there is none of them behind a dark moon.

1 Like