FilterPostProcessor

Hi! :slight_smile:

Super dumb question! :stuck_out_tongue:

Has anyone used the FilterPostProcessor with Android?

It should work normally but most filters won’t I guess.

It is not supported. It will be too intense to run on android anyway

Reviving an old thread, why wouldn’t the filters work? I’ve tried getting the BloomFilter and FXAAFilter running on Android but both ones give me a scrambled display (the scrambling is different for each filter – Bloom looks mostly like video noise/memory corruption, and FXAA looks like some sort of data size mismatch, with the frame broken into blocks that repeat oddly).

FXAA in particular is important, since I haven’t gotten antialiasing to work yet. setSamples() on AppSettings doesn’t seem to do anything for me (I looked to see if that value is plumbed through to the OGLES classes and couldn’t find it). I started messing around with the EGLConfig selection in AndroidConfigChooser (there’s a good example to steal from at https://code.google.com/p/gdc2011-android-opengl/source/browse/trunk/src/com/example/gdc11/GDC11Activity.java) and don’t have that working either yet. Is there something I’m missing in there?

Thanks.

@sbarta said:
Reviving an old thread, why wouldn't the filters work?

@Momoko_Fan said:
It is not supported. It will be too intense to run on android anyway

@sbarta said:
FXAA in particular is important, since I haven't gotten antialiasing to work yet. setSamples() on AppSettings doesn't seem to do anything for me (I looked to see if that value is plumbed through to the OGLES classes and couldn't find it). I started messing around with the EGLConfig selection in AndroidConfigChooser (there's a good example to steal from at https://code.google.com/p/gdc2011-android-opengl/source/browse/trunk/src/com/example/gdc11/GDC11Activity.java) and don't have that working either yet. Is there something I'm missing in there?

Thanks.

most Android device fill rate is like 10 years old computer's fill rate...it sucks big time.
Actually Hardware AA is more likely to be faster than FXAA on these devices.

The multi sampling setting is not implemented for android yet, but i will add it.
But really most good looking games on android are vastly taking advantage of good artists and baked textures.
Post processing is not yet a good option on android devices IMO.

Got it, thanks for the help.

That example I linked to also did CSAA (http://developer.nvidia.com/csaa-coverage-sampling-antialiasing) for Tegra GPUs, but I wasn’t able to get that working in the few minutes I tried messing around with it on a Xoom. Multisampling didn’t work for me there, either. I assume I was doing something dumb. If I get it working soon, I’ll definitely send you some code patches.

That GDC2011 sample takes the approach of trying a number of different EGLConfig settings until it gets one that the GPU likes – it starts by trying for multisampling, and then it tries CSAA for Tegra devices, and then it falls back to no antialiasing. It would take some tweaking of AndroidConfigChooser to do that sort of thing.

Yeah i don’t say it’s impossible, my point is that you’ll probably get into a lot of bottlenecks on android before starting to consider AA.

Post process will require quite some work on android, and in the end very few filters will be usable.