Finally working on mavenization

Nifty only needs the styles if you use the default controls.

You can even get around that if you define your own styles for the controls you use.

Special builds?
What’s special about them, as opposed to upstream?
What made that necessary?
How were they built?
(Googling for “nifty.jar site:hub.jmonkeyengine.org” turned up nothing relevant.)

1. Yes.
  2. They contain changed classes.
  3. Changes in classes
  4. With a java compiler
  5. Yeah, we don’t let you know everything ^^

Sigh. I don’t know what game you’re playing but:

1. okay
  2. What changes? Where are the sources?
  3. What made those changes necessary?
  4. Well, duh.
  5. Why?
  1. Various changes, various places.
  2. Adapting the libraries to jme.
  3. Right?
  4. Cause its too much work and a temporary change shouldn’t stick to anyones mind.

Now before you tell me this is unprofessional yadda yadda: I already said we plan to make different channels of distribution available when we have a release. We have not yet put out a stable version of jME so I don’t know why we have to explain in detail how we get it together, most OSS projects are WAY less transparent than we are.

TBH toolforger I don’t think there is any one place you can get the information you need. Some people did the bullet stuff, other people did nifty, etc, etc.

Normen could answer some of your questions rather more helpfully than he has but as he said in virtually his first post no-one (not even he) actually has all of the answers and so you are talking team members taking the time to compile the information together instead of working on features/fixes/whatever when that information could well change by one week from now. Once the release is done there is a plan to push things out on more distribution channels and define this stuff better but at the moment there is nothing more solid than what you already have.

@normen said: Nope. All these small things are why we would like to manage putting up repositories instead of leaving that to others. But we are not ready to do that yet.
He's not being unhelpful for the sake of it, he doesn't have the information and has already told you he doesn't have it and why it is hard to provide it - which then leads to unhelpful answers when you keep asking :)
1 Like
@zarch said:He's not being unhelpful for the sake of it,

Yep, he’s being unhelpful. In this case, by delaying the relevant information until I hit the roadblock that he’s seen a day away, then essentially saying “told you so”.
Probably not for the sake of it. I have my own theories :slight_smile:
That’s enough behavioural analysis. Let’s get back to mavenization.

I’ll simply put the binay jars into artifacts and be done with it, and hope to see a fully open-source engine soon.
I needed some of the new stuff in nifty 1.4, so I hope I’ll stay lucky and won’t hit any serious problems until that happens.

How about you just use this? GitHub - ahoehma/jme3-maven-helper: JMonkey Maven Helper Why do you have to start an unofficial repo? Anyway I have my theories on why you want to do that, its obvious theres no better way to annoy us ^^ And obviously this cannot be because of issues you have, else you’d have found out abut the single differences already. Anyway if what I say and zarch then extra explained to you doesn’t suffice, have fun.

@normen said: How about you just use this? https://github.com/ahoehma/jme3-maven-helper

It won’t work for indirect dependencies.
Consider this dependency chain of Maven projects:
app -> local-lib -> jme3
local-lib defines what jme3 jars are used, but you can’t use jme3-maven-helper there because the local-lib project would have to publish multiple jars, and Maven simply can’t do that (a design decision, love it or hate it).
So you’ll have to put the jme3-maven-helper configuration in app. Consider this repeated for app2, app3, etc. and you’ll see that it’s going to be nasty. You could place the jme3-maven-helper config in a parent pom that all apps would need to inherit, but this can interact unfavorably with existing parent poms (Maven doesn’t support multiple inheritance for parent poms, you have to force a linear chain, and this can get nasty for the more complicated situations).

@normen said:Why do you have to start an unofficial repo?

I’m not sure what you mean by an “unofficial repo”.
If you mean it’s a fork: No fork, just a mirror. And only of the jars, not the sources.
In the form best suitable for consumption by Maven: a repo in a repo manager, one jar per artifact coordinate (i.e. per Maven project).

And I need it because Maven was built to work with a Maven repo. And since a jme3 Maven repo isn’t available, in fact when I started this, my current best knowledge was that the jme3 team is absolutely opposed to mavenizing jme3. This does not seem to be true anymore, but I have no word on what the policy actually is, so I decided to whip something up that works for now.

@normen said:And obviously this cannot be because of issues you have, else you'd have found out abut the single differences already.

Well, the issue I have is that I don’t know the version that the external dependencies were built from.
Finding out the difference gets hard if you have half a dozen public versions to compare to, for each of 10 jars. Particularly if the differences are generally minimal.

I understand you already know the difference but aren’t telling.
Why?

1. Yeah well, we found out hats not the best idea anyway and you’d have to make the dependencies in your project anyway as they would be different than the jME default ones.
  2. Same, also: You already started to change the dependencies, we always just opposed external people setting these kinds of repos up. And I told you more than three times now what “the policy” is. (lol, show me the “policies” of all the other “real open source projects”, you’re really hilarious)
  3. Right, quite some work eh? As I told you three times as well now, no we are not ready to put that information together else it would be there. But as you are the center of my world I guess it must be because its you who asks. In plain words: No, I can not just write all the changes down like that. Is that so hard to understand? We would do it, we can’t right now, so we also cannot help you. Think about it, it makes sense! Now wipe your maven butt alone please or just use the SDK, I didn’t see one screen or video of a working game from you since you tried to do galaxy-wide picking, only anal mentions of “issues” like these. You seem to waste your time with uniportant things like setting your project up for a year.
  1. So why did you even mention jme3-maven-helper?
  2. Not sure what you mean with “changed dependencies”
  3. First you say you can’t help, then you say it’s just a single change that’s easy to spot, now you say it’s too much work and you can’t help. Make up your mind already. And don’t tell me I’m wasting my time if you’re giving me conflicting advice that I have to check to avoid getting told off. Feh.

And drop that constant abuse, please. “Wipe your maven butt” and “anal mentions” and similar are entirely uncalled for.

1 Like