For anyone using maven and is missing jme3-testdata

Hi,

if you are new here (like me) and use maven or gradle, you may encounter missing dependencies if you go through the tutorials, e.g. the jme3-testdata artifact.

To solve that issue, just install the jars into your local repo.

1. Download desired release zip from Releases · jMonkeyEngine/jmonkeyengine · GitHub
  2. unpack desired jar to some directory
  3. change to that directory
  4. install file using maven like this (adjust parameters as you need them)
    $ mvn install:install-file -Dfile=./jme3-testdata.jar -DgroupId=org.jmonkeyengine -DartifactId=jme3-testdata -Dversion=3.2.1-stable -Dpackaging=jar
  5. done.

Hope this helps someone :slight_smile:

cheers alec

3 Likes

Indeed. Or download files individually rather than the whole engine here. Useful if you only want a few small things or reference them as a template.

Is something wrong with the wiki topic?

https://wiki.jmonkeyengine.org/jme3/maven.html

no, its perfectly fine! I think it misses the information about how to get the jm3-testdata library, since it is not available in the repositories.
jm3-testdata is also referenced in the jm3-examples pom, so i guess you can run into the issue pretty fast when doing the tutorials when using maven.

thx for keeping up the nice work guys :slight_smile:

When I ran into this issue back in 2017, I took the liberty of uploading the JAR to BinTray, so I can do:

<dependency>
  <groupId>org.jmonkeyengine</groupId>
  <artifactId>jme3-testdata</artifactId>
  <version>3.1.0-stable</version>
  <type>pom</type>
</dependency>

The repo location is

https://dl.bintray.com/stephengold/org.jmonkeyengine

Full info at

2 Likes

Shouldn’t this be setup as a gradle command for the engine so it can be published to jmonkey bintray upon new releases?

I think @pspeed said it could be violating their TOS, as (iirc) he said that he thinks that jCenter is for Code/Binaries with Code linked available only and that’s not what testdata is.

Like you could upload your holiday images as jar to jCenter otherwise.
At least it was an unclear situation so far. It was different as we were hosting our own repo

After reading the terms of service I found nothing saying anything like this. Maybe I missed it. Can someone point this out in the TOS.

I did find this under item 4. Use Restrictions

(xxvi) infringe and/or violate any of the Terms (xxvii) in connection with Contributions, upload and/or store on the Site continuous integration artifacts or nightly builds, (i.e. you may only upload and store content in direct connection to official software releases).

The keyword is CONTENT as defined below.

The Site also provides you with additional resources such as blogs, public forums, including any other content related thereto such as contact information, videos, text, files, logos, button icons, images, data compilations, links, other specialized content, technical data, documentation, know-how, specifications materials, designs, data, the “look and feel” of the Site, algorithms, source and object code, interface, GUI, interactive features related graphics, illustrations, drawings, animations, and other features available on or through the Site (collectively, the “Content”).

Edit:
Under section 2 The Site

they define Platform as various types of files, they also define a contribution.

The Site includes a platform for developers to publish, download, store, promote and share various types of files (the“Platform”). Within our Platform, which is an online cloud repository, we provide you certain features and services, such as, viewing, downloading, uploading, aggregating, linking to, participating in discussions, rating and otherwise accessing and/or making available for others various types of files, such as (i) your software which is licensed under open source license and/or third party software which is licensed under open source license, including any modifications, derivatives and/or contributions you may make to such third party software (“Contributions”)

These quotes are from the TOS linked to for creating a open source Bintray account.

Maybe the one you get when signing up is different? Wouldn’t think so but maybe the account holder knows.

I emailed jFrog for clarification.

I will post the answer when received.

Lets see what answer you get :smiley:
I asked them back then if we could host the netbeans modules there and after 6 days or so they replied

Thank you for reaching out to us. 
As our Valued Open Source user, JFrog is happy to provide you with the assistance in order to make your Bintray Experience more powerful! 
Please feel free to raise your inquiry at StackOverflow using the tags [artifactory], [bintray], [jcenter] or [jfrog-mission-control] and we will get back to you.

The question I asked was can a jar file contain(specifically mentioned test-data), images, text files, blender files, everything in the test-data jar that is used for the wiki.

The answer.

Hi Robert,

Thank you for contacting JFrog Support.

The mentioned open source project, is maintained by jMonkeyEngine. You may ask the owner of the project to includ your package. That would not be a violation to Bintry Terms of Use.

Please let us know if you require further assistance or have any other questions, we will be glad to assist.

I am not to sure but is this the line that stops test-data from publishing?