Free movement animation

Keep in mind I'm not very well versed in 3D modeling/animation - just learning as I go - so if I'm missing something easy just give me the terms and I'll go study up on it…

I'm not sure if ragdoll is the correct term - but I am wondering if I could get some input on how to implement a free movement animation in jME?  What I mean is - I would like to import a model with bones etc into jME, and then programatically control the movement of the model - rather than predetermined animation sequences.

I imagine I could do it with jME physics - but is there a more direct method?  The reason for this is I intend to implement a large number of possible "moves" a character could perform, and it would be cumbersome to create individual animations from every possible move to every other move - without going back to some neutral state.

This programmatic approach would also allow the interruption of a certain "move" and a segue into a different one without any jerkiness or stuttering of the animation (as you might get if you used the method of splitting a single animation into partial sequences for interruption purposes).

You can just set joint rotations directly on the Spatial class but I don't thin kthats really what your looking for.

What you are looking for, I think, is called "Inverse Kinematics" and is the math to determine, given joint constraints and other physical information, how a system of joints has to pivot to place iyts end point somewhere.  For example, someone reachign out to lift up a glass. 

Its pretty computationally expensive which is why IK is usually done in the modeler and then a canned resulting animation exported, but if you google that term you should find lots of information on the web.

Actually I take it back. I missed the end of your first post.

What you are  looking for is "weighted blending" of animations.

JME actually has support for that in the skin and bones system.  I havent used it but Im sure someone else can give you some info.

If your doing your own animation then youll need to implement it yourself.