Frequent crashes on Linux with OpenJDK

Hi everyone,

I installed the new JMonkeyEngine 3.0 Beta on Arch Linux 64 bit with OpenJDK6, using the installer, and am experiencing very frequent crashes in JMonkeyPlatform. The crashes are not reliably reproducable, but frequent, so that I can’t really work longer than a minute or two before it crashes. As far as I can tell they happen only when the OpenGL window is visible and mostly when I open or close some kind of wizard in the application, but not exclusively. Also sometimes the application will just hang and use 100% cpu instead of crashing.

The exact errors I receive when the application crashes are these:

$ sh bin/jmonkeyplatform

Unknown option -Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true

The program ‘java’ received an X Window System error.

This probably reflects a bug in the program.

The error was ‘BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)’.

(Details: serial 21657 error_code 3 request_code 20 minor_code 0)

(Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;

that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.

To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line

option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful

backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)

AL lib: FreeContext: (0x1bc7c50) Deleting 64 Source(s)

AL lib: FreeContext: (0x1bc7c50) Deleting 1 AuxiliaryEffectSlot(s)

$ sh bin/jmonkeyplatform

Unknown option -Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true

The program ‘java’ received an X Window System error.

This probably reflects a bug in the program.

The error was ‘BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)’.

(Details: serial 14503 error_code 8 request_code 142 minor_code 4)

(Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;

that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.

To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line

option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful

backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)

AL lib: FreeContext: (0x7fe13c058040) Deleting 64 Source(s)

AL lib: FreeContext: (0x7fe13c058040) Deleting 1 AuxiliaryEffectSlot(s)

I’ve read through the forum a little before posting this and I guess my main question is whether this is a known issue and if running JMP on OpenJDK is even supported, or if I am supposed to switch to the sun jdk. Otherwise I would appreciate any pointers you guys could give me to get this to work, since I am really exited about the beta and would love to play around with it. :slight_smile:

Thanks for your time.

Okay, thanks for the quick reply. Guess I’ll have to switch to the Sun JDK then. But I can’t really blame you for not supporting OpenJDK, since I know first-hand that it can be quite the bug beast. :slight_smile:

But it would definitely be nice if there was a reference somewhere that you shouldn’t run JMP on OpenJDK (unless, of course, there already is one that I missed), especially since it’s the default JVM on most distributions and it’s not always obvious if your problems with an application lie with the application itself or your platform’s JVM.

Thanks again.

OpenJDK is not supported, no.

1 Like

Yeah, thing is, we say that you should get the sun JDK on the download page… Also it should work at some point on OpenJDK, main issue is some lwjgl and other incompatibilities… In the end it should not matter.

1 Like

Although OpenJDK is a nice project, I’m not a fun due to it’s frequent crashes and Swing incompatibility.

Yes, imo the linux community switched way too soon, they could also have gone with leaving just JDK6 from sun by default. Thats definitely less of a compatibility problem than using a half-baked OpenJDK. :confused:

about sun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk3qkQROb_k

1 Like