GDC 2006 demos

Wolkenstein was one of the most finished projects to date, I think. Of course, I'd love to have HeveeGuns presented, but I'm afraid that it doesn't look very impressive right now, even though it shows off some of jME's features, like render to texture, sound, and that sweet JMEDesktop thing with skinLF. If anybody has pointers on what should be improved, I'd be more than happy to polish HG up some, whether it shows up at GDC or not.

If we could get Mr. Coder to come out of the closet with his cool water demo we'd have something truly awesome to show off at GDC. :-p

darkfrog

We are not a game, so i guess that chances are very small for us to show off a little bit

got a go on sharing some techdemos…now it's a question of available time(my spare time that is)…

I'd be happy to package up the webstart for you if that's what would take the time to do?

darkfrog

darkfrog, you could really help by grabbing the quake3 demo we have in that other thread and packaging that for webstart.  :slight_smile:

I'll try to give to get that done.  I was thinking about making a little Swing-based application that would let you graphically build WebStart packages…would that be beneficial to others?  It seems like most people find making a game webstartable difficult and if there was a wizard based tool for it, would people use it?

BTW, I started work on the single-player Roll-A-Rama game Vertigo and it's extremely easy in comarison to the multiplayer to create since all there is to it is level design and telling you that you've won when you finish it.  I should easily have that finished this week.

Should we be doing playable demos to send to GDC or should be be doing videos of playable demos for GDC?  I mean, if all they're going to be doing is displaying something up for people to see and us not really have any control over it perhaps we should at least script the demos if not just provide videos?

darkfrog

Outrunner said:

We are not a game, so i guess that chances are very small for us to show off a little bit  :cry:

The new Rover game looks realy nice. Good Terrain + Good Physics + Good models + Good GUI. If their is a little vegtation, then it will be the coolest.

I'm very flattered that this would even be considered. :)

If it would help at the GDC, I would love to get the game in better shape for it. I have just added better roll and incline gauges as well as a speedometer. If there are any features that might be considered 'must have' for a demo of this nature please let me know and I'll get them in if possible.
renanse said:

So that all said, I would like to send him at least 2 demos.

Hey guys,

if you want to show Wolkenstein at the GDC you have my explicit permission to do so!

In fact that would be awesome :slight_smile:

Best regards

Fly

They ended up promising to show us at a GDC press conference instead of on the floor.  I was not at that press conference (or GDC this year…) so I have no idea if they did what they promised or not.  :frowning:

is there any way to find that out?