GDE Name ideas

Frankly, I am tired of calling this project a GDE. When abbreviated, GDE, a Game Development Environment last time I checked, explains little to nothing to a newcomer. The project is already seeing some buzz in its favor going on around the web, so we might as well start thinking about a unique name that all of this buzz will eventually have in common.

I'll start us off with a couple of suggestions:

MonkeyBeans

Gibbon

Spidermonkey

jMonkey Platform

Why? If all works well the gde is gonna be a synonym for jme3 anyway, just the cool editor tool for this great engine :slight_smile:

The editor of Unity3D also has no special name…?

normen said:

Why? If all works well the gde is gonna be a synonym for jme3 anyway, just the cool editor tool for this great engine :)
The editor of Unity3D also has no special name..?

True, but I don't think many people write entire Unity games without the use of the editor, something that has been going on in jME for years..  Delta3D calls their editor "Stage", but I think if we do name it something other than GDE or jME Editor we can come up with something much more fun :D

Oh, I wasn’t aware of this line of thinking. Way I see it the two projects will always be separate, regardless of widespread adoption of the GDE. I think the separation would help keep development in perspective. If the GDE is jME, what is pgi’s Jupiter editor then? And if someone started their own Eclipse RCP project for jME, what would that be? If the GDE saw considerable changes happen to it, would this affect these other distributions? Not likely. If the jMonkeyEngine changed considerably, now they’d all be affected.

Also, pointing up, what he said :slight_smile:

Backstage :smiley:

Its kinda like the same feeling when opening a level editor or something, you see all the wires and facades :slight_smile:

MonkeyTheater

Kinda like puppet theater

MonkeyWork(er), Monkey@Work

Its gotta feel like its a tool that aids you…

MonkeyForge

…and as if theres good stuff coming out :slight_smile:

MonkeyPlatform

Did I mention that its important that its not just a tool but a platform for more tools? :smiley:

MonkeyInstructor / Trainer [© momoko_fan]

Maybe feels too much like its just dragging&dropping game entities

MonkeyKitchen

Like you're cooking your stuff in this kitchen full of tools…

Hmm, hungry XD gonna get some food, maybe new ideas come with that :slight_smile:

@erlend:

Did not think they should be the same, just that most people will get it that way, some people even think that MonkeyWorld3D is jme… For anyone who is interested to get some work done the name will be of no concern and it will be obvious what the things are. I just thought about the "package" that jMonkeyEngine3 might be for people starting with it.

Silverback (an adult male gorilla according to wikipedia)

JMonkey Platform doesn't sound bad either.

pgi said:

Silverback (an adult male gorilla according to wikipedia)
Silverback3D was one of my suggestions and personal favorite for jME3 :D We could still use it as a "release name", same way Ubuntu and Wordpress do theirs.

JMonkey Platform doesn't sound bad either.
We got 3 thumbs up for jMonkey Platform already then. It's descriptive, maintains consistency and further promotes the 'jMonkey' brand, clear separation (Engine vs Platform) and easily comes off as a 'core project'. I like it.
erlend_sh said:

We got 3 thumbs up for jMonkey Platform already then.

Since I know that most people here dont like long discussions about such things and I also know that Erlend does not have the patience to wait for the ingenious idea to pop up naturally, from now on its jMonkeyPlatform, done. :P

Call it TMV :slight_smile:

The Monkey View

Call it Gorilla Workshop

Honestly, if this is even still up for discussion it should be jBraindeadMonkeyEngine as that's what the thing is supposed to be.

Huscar said:

Honestly, if this is even still up for discussion it should be jBraindeadMonkeyEngine as that's what the thing is supposed to be.

It hasn't been since March 24th, we've agreed on a working name for the time being :p
Huscar said:

Finally someone who gets it :D thats what it is right now ;)
Huscar said:

No a better one is monkey and the brain
sbook said:

Huscar said:

It hasn't been since March 24th, we've agreed on a working name for the time being :p

Yeh I figured, I was an hour or so late to post an idea back then. It was more a reaction to the other posts that joined the discussion much later ;)