Getting started in JMonkeyEngine

I believe we do. @RiccardoBlb manages our servers. He would know for sure.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s actually a great idea. I think something like that would be extremely useful for everyone, not just beginners, and we could extend it to support community libraries (eg. guis, physics etc.),

You are right jmonkeyengine.org is just a client side website (that uses hugo for templating), hosted on github pages, we chose that to have a front page that could stay on even if we had problems on our backend, however we have a server to support everything else, so server side support is not an issue, we can provide that.

I would still prefer this to be a client side app, if possible, since it is easier to maintain and more secure.
Or it could be a serverside app with rest interface and a js frontend that we can integrate in our site.
However if you have other plans, do as you wish, we run docker containers on the server so there is no constraint on the language etcā€¦ once the app is ready i can help with containers and integration so donā€™t worry about that.

If you need to contact me on DMs or discord, feel free to do that.

4 Likes

Awesome. Iā€™ll have a play and see what I can come up with.

Thatā€™s actually a great idea. I think something like that would be extremely useful for everyone, not just beginners, and we could extend it to support community libraries (eg. guis, physics etc.),

That was what I had in mind, ā€œWhat gui library would you like to useā€ and list Lemur (probably selected by default), Nifty gui etc

I would still prefer this to be a client side app, if possible, since it is easier to maintain and more secure.
Or it could be a serverside app with rest interface and a js frontend that we can integrate in our site.

Yes, Iā€™m thinking either full client side, or client + rest calls to a spring boot application. One thing that pushes me in the direction of the client + rest calls is it might be nice for the application to query maven central for the most recent minor version within preset major versions, so it will always start users on modern versions of stuff and we wonā€™t be constantly tinkering with the versions it outputs (I havenā€™t found an API that would give me that information yet though). (Also creating dynamic zips client side in javascript doesnā€™t fill me with glee even though I accept that it is possible)

1 Like

Myself i use Gradle in any IDE i like.

SDK i use only for assets managing.

Well for new people it could be easier to use SDK, but i belive they were often discouraged because of some sdk bugs (at least i tell for myself since beginning, idk if many of them still exist)

Gradle is not scary, i were learning it too. But it need to be provided first as working example (like it is in current webpage geting-started)

3 Likes

Right, those are valid use cases.
If it can help, i think we shouldnā€™t even try to support old browsers, using modern javascript apis will make this much easier for sure.

1 Like

I still use the SDK (although many people know that there are many problems with the SDK), one of the reasons I insist on using the SDK is to facilitate development, because the SDK can package the desktop version and the android version with one click, so that I can debug the desktop during the development phase Version, and then directly ported to the android version. In addition, the SDK provides visualization tools to help me build the game scene. I know that blender can also be used to build the scene, but I need to add some flags to the scene, and I will frequently modify the scene, use blender to frequently modify and export and then load it into jme not convenientā€¦

2 Likes

Thank you SDK developers for continuing to maintain the SDK :+1:

4 Likes

Too true :rofl:, many potential bugs of the SDK discourage many novices.

1 Like

Actually I got you covered, I wasnā€™t aware that someone is having problems there.
It may be outdated (even still using travis), but: GitHub - MeFisto94/nbproject
Looking at it now, it doesnā€™t seem correct because it has the files in two folders, that was probably before I knew what I was doing (youā€™d be a fool if youā€™d believe me I know now :wink: ).

Thereā€™s actually https://github.com/MeFisto94/jme3-artificial-intelligence/blob/master/build.gradle
and GitHub - MeFisto94/av-capture

Thatā€™s basically correct, to build the module, it needs to be in-tree (part of the suite), at least thatā€™s what I used to do. Now you ā€œjustā€ need to extract the plugin into itā€™s own repo and pull the SDK and build against it.

Note that the above plugins only compile against the engine and netbeans itself, not against the SDK, for which youā€™d need to build the SDK as well. Iā€™ll try to get this more smooth with more recent versions, though, as we donā€™t need to compile the engine our own anymore.

2 Likes

I created a prototype of the JMonkey initalizer. To avoid derailing this thread Iā€™ve added a separate topic on it at JMonkey Initializer

6 Likes

I started fiddling with jmonkeyengine about an month ago.
The sdk seems fine(completed almost all the tutorials without a problem).
The tutorials that were giving me a headache were the ones that import the assets. The wiki doesnā€™t explain how to import jmonkey assets using gradle, so I made a pr to the docs.
Iā€™m a hobbyist, so Iā€™m probably not using any advanced features, but I have made simple android apps in android studio(intelliJ), and I donā€™t think thereā€™s any features that the jmonkey sdk is missing, compared to that IDEā€¦

5 Likes