Getting Started

Hi,

im completely new in game development. I have chose jme (it was very hard to decide between xith and jme).

I had some problems with getting started tutorial.

Basically, the command-line CVS commands you need to execute are as follows: (make sure to replace [java.net username] with your java.net username)

i think, it is hard to understend: … your java.net username … - what, where, why?,  :slight_smile:

• solved

java -Djava.library.path=./lib -cp ./lib/lwjgl.jar;./lib/jogg-0.0.5.jar;./lib/jorbis-0.0.12.jar;./target/jme.jar;./target/jmetest.jar;./target/jmetest-data.jar jmetest.effects.TestDynamicSmoker

this command didnt work for me

i had to add all jars from jme/target directory to classpath

• i understand why, no problem

i had to move all dlls from jme/lib directory to jme directory (it is working directory by lunching demos)

• i dont undersand why -Djava.library.path=./lib doesnt work

(i tried relative, absolute path, /, , , and more)

any working advice? :slight_smile:

thx

On which platform?

I use the following.

Windows and dll in ./native for an own project: java -Djava.library.path=.native -cp .;lib/jme.jar;libjme-effects.jar;libjme-model.jar;libjme-sound.jar;libjme-terrain.jar;libjme-ui.jar;nativelwjgl.jar -jar Client.jar

In ./native there is : DevIL.dll ILU.dll ILUT.dll lwjgl-devil.dll lwjgl-fmod3.dll lwjgl.dll lwjglaudio.dll

Linux and dll in ./lib to run demos: java -Djava.library.path=./lib -cp ./lib/lwjgl.jar:./lib/jogg-0.0.5.jar:./lib/jorbis-0.0.12.jar:./jme.jar:./jmetest.jar:./jmetest-data.jar:./jme-effects.jar:./jme-model.jar:./jme-terrain.jar:./jme-ui.jar jmetest.TestChooser

This setup is just out of the installation with all native libraries and 3rd party jars in ./lib.

hm weird,

im able to run it from ant with "-Djava.library.path=lib" jvm param

i dont understand where is the problem :slight_smile:

Kokoth,

Sorry you’re having trouble getting started.  I initially had some problems getting going myself, but I finally just started checking out the source from CVS and that seemed to make things significantly easier for me and just dropping the DLLs in my JRE’s bin directory so I didn’t need any library references.

I would highly recommend using an IDE as there is so much involved in game development that it can get really confusing without one.  My personal preference (and I believe the standard preference around here) is Eclipse.  It’s a very well designed IDE that is open-source.  You can download it from http://www.eclipse.org.  I would recommend getting the WTP all-inclusive download if you have any desire to do any web design in the future.

Anyway, welcome to jME.  I actually started out with Xith myself and one of the major factors that got me to switch was the jME-Physics project.  It is so much better than Xith’s solution and much more logical.

darkfrog

hi darkfrog,

thx for ur interest.

1. droping libraries directly into jre is possible, but dirty solution (only my opinion), i dont like it
  2. u are right, i started new project in eclipse, i like ecpilse very much too (i was only lazy to create new project :))
  3. what is WTP?
  4. thx for greeting :slight_smile:
  • i started 2 days ago with game development (it was my dream long time ago)
  • i have no knowlegde about graphics
  • yesterday i decided to use jme (hard to decide between jme and xith)
  • today i started reading Jack Lindamood tutorial

Kokoth,

1. I understand your feelings on this, but I prefer to do it this way as when I release a game I will include the JRE with it and the libraries already in the bin directory, so it's not a big deal to me for development.

2. BTW, you can add things to your library in Eclipse directly…

3. Web Tools Platform - it's a sub-project and they have a release of Eclipse that comes with all of the plugins for it built-in.  Very cool.

4. I'm pretty new here as well but just spending an awful lot of time in lately so I might seem like I've been here for a long time. :o  I think you've definitely made the right decision in choosing jME as the support here is so much better and the project is moving at a much faster pace.  You might find looking at the examples in the source for the project will help you move MUCH faster than the tutorials.  I got bored with the tutorials very quickly and decided to just read all the source code and learned a lot more…and got to see programs in action.

darkfrog