Getting wrapped :/

irrisor said:

I did not get any of the non-commercial tools for converting c++ to java to work properly for a larger library (ODE). So if you mean you will have to do that at work.... good luck!
mojomonk said:

ok, sounds like it's not an option yet then...i'll start porting jme to c# tonight, see you all at the jMESharp forum!

If I see any portage from Java to C# posted on here me and "Mister Bat" will have to come for a visit. :-p

darkfrog

i don't see anything bad in c#. it's just another bytecode digester :slight_smile: mr. coder, just make sure it runs on mono  XD

a bit OT, but please enlighten this ignorant artist.... We're getting a great deal of knowledge of Jme after all...well, I'm only helping in the art pipeline, Tora does all programming...as we plan on doing more projects based on jme in the future...Do you think Windows Vista and those rumors about opengl being killed there or been left as an slow emulation inside Vista will happen just like that? Will microsoft get that far...? Or put some kind of big performance problem for Java, or incompatibility issue? Or that creative thingy of putting the "this is not a windows application, danger, system exploding in 5 seconds"? 

I see them capable...So I fear a bit, now that I see Tora so much fluid with Jme, 3d and java..(well, he was freaking pretty solid with java since allways...)

fear no more! s (i hope)

remember that this was only an issue in windowed mode, where your opengl app would want gpu access at the same time as the regular windows rendering, in vista done through directx and the gpu…

but it seems they have made a third path open though where you have to composite your buffer with the windows render through some shared surface…

snips:

“Last SIGGRAPH, alarms were raised when it was learned that OpenGL support on Windows Vista would come with some limitations that were considered unacceptable by many. Developers and hardware vendors were asked to contact Microsoft and ask them to provide a path for IHVs to support OpenGL as a first-class citizen on Vista. As of the February Vista beta, this has now been done.”

check out Kam Vedbrat’s blog on this:

http://blogs.msdn.com/kamvedbrat/archive/2006/02/22/537624.aspx

Phew… that's good news.

Anyway I don't think it will be a problem. I doubt everybody is going to upgrade to Windows Vista in a blink, not to talk about the hardware upgrade you'll need to run it at a 'reasonable performance'. Just remember the transition from Windows 98 to Windows XP. And there are still lots of people using Windows 98.

Too much money to invest on new hardware and software (Windows Vista) for the 'casual gamer', I think. So for us shareware game developers there are plenty of time until we should consider Windows Vista as a real 'target'.

And if M$ does 'sabotage' opengl on Windows Vista, sure there will be workarounds, and maybe a 'lwjdx' library for us humble java developers :wink:

What I fear most is the M$ vs Sun jvm thing. M$ might take another step on Windows Vista to prevent the Sun jvm running, downgrade the performance and things like that… Trying to force everyone to stick to the M$ products family as usual.

Also I've heard that Windows Vista emits microwaves which affect your brain, so M$ will control you remotely and makes you feel that you should port all your java apps to c#. I have the feeling that some people around here have tried the Windows Vista beta… :stuck_out_tongue: Beware, because I have heard also that the next step would be making people follow Clippo advice and see it as a God's virtual emmisary to help humankind to reach salvation… Get ready for huge zombie  waves soon… (that is, people that got it's brains 'microwaved' but the process did cause a bsod on them…).

bsod from now on, you will all call me M$Coder robotic voice  }:-@

Tora said:

Also I've heard that Windows Vista emits microwaves which affect your brain, so M$ will control you remotely and makes you feel that you should port all your java apps to c#. I have the feeling that some people around here have tried the Windows Vista beta... :P Beware, because I have heard also that the next step would be making people follow Clippo advice and see it as a God's virtual emmisary to help humankind to reach salvation... Get ready for huge zombie

heh! The other artist posted!

/joke about the hordes of artists here…/

:wink:

We have artists on this forum?  :?

You artists surprise me so much with your technical knowledge that I just consider you part of the programmers.  :wink:

Tora said:

What I fear most is the M$ vs Sun jvm thing. M$ might take another step on Windows Vista to prevent the Sun jvm running, downgrade the performance and things like that... Trying to force everyone to stick to the M$ products family as usual.

If they did that, I'm sure the laywers at Sun (and they still have a "few" of those left over from previous lawsuits against Microsoft) will have another bottle of champagne. Some of the easiest ways to make money these days is having Microsoft attack you that directly. However, that won't happen anymore. Plus I'm sure it would backfire anyway (if Java is 2 times faster on linux why not just use linux?)

Dropping decent support for OpenGL was a lot more sneaky.. and the fact they didn't respond right away can also be seen as a bit sneaky (how many people switched from OpenGL to DirectX in the meanwhile?).. But it could be plain stupidity of a big corperation adrift not able to deal with such things. On the one hand they are trying to improve their image, on the other hand they're still cooking up schemes like this in the first place.

Still, the "open blog" policy they have did have some effect.. as we can see here. The fact this was actually fixed could have gone unnoticed for most, if some blogger at Microsoft hadn't answered some questions over it, which then spread the word till it eventually -amongst other places- ended up here.
snaga said:

heh! The other artist posted!

/joke about the hordes of artists here../

;)

nah, not really an artist................. just knows some stuff and It find all this stuffl.................. interesting 8), is all. takes me away from the drudgery of an otherwise dull tax job :). animation is my favorite :)