Glow bleeding through procedural textures. Fixes? [Solved]

As you all know I make my planets’ textures with a procedural algorithm. The problem, as you can see below, is that the glow bloom is bleeding through the planet.

To fix that, I see two ways. Either clone the sphere and texture it black or add a “fake” black texture to the existing sphere. I’m not sure about the result of the latter though. It shouldn’t change the procedural output since its black and it should render the planet opaque to the glow, thus cutting off the glow bloom.

Which one would be better in your opinion?

Cloning shouldn’t be an issue since there’s rarely more than two dozen spheres in a solar system, but that means taking care of these objects. Rotation around sun/planet, rotation around their own axis, etc.

Ideas?

http://www.disenthral.com/files/bleed_glow.png

…my brain cannot decode the picture oO I know I should probably be seeing some solar system but I don’t :confused:

Anyway afaik adding bloom required some changes in the whole material system, are you sure you “support” bloom with your shader?

I think your brain is tired. :wink:

Orange and Yellow spheres are suns (it’s a binary system). The blue sphere is a Neptune-like planet and the 3 small brown spheres are moons.

The blue planet is, obviously, in front of the yellow star, but the star’s glow is rendered over the blue planet. What happens is that since it’s a procedural texturing shader, the planet’s sphere doesn’t have a “texture” in the normal sense of it. As far as the engine knows, the sphere has no texture, thus it’s like it’s not there at all.

With the ship model it’s different. You can see the glow is going around the model. It bleeds a bit inside and that’s fine. I like it that way, it looks realistic.

Anyway, the yellow glow should be cut-off around the blue planet and it isn’t.

Is your brain getting it now? :wink:

I think the planet needs to have a glow technique that renders black.

1 Like
@pspeed said:
I think the planet needs to have a glow technique that renders black.

I guess with careful tweaking I could do that. I do want the sun's glow to bleed-in inside the planet, its luminosity is far greater, but what we're seeing above doesn't really work. ;)

It's a much better idea than what I had.

Thanks. I'll try that.
@madjack said:
I guess with careful tweaking I could do that. I do want the sun's glow to bleed-in inside the planet, its luminosity is far greater, but what we're seeing above doesn't really work. ;)

It's a much better idea than what I had.

Thanks. I'll try that.

The glow will still blur and bleed, it just won't shine right through.

That’s what I was saying. :slight_smile: I thought I’d have to tweak it a bit, but didn’t have too. :smiley:

Also added the glow technique to the moons and it works fine. Being small they’re engulfed in the glow pretty fast, but that’s fine and realist.

http://www.disenthral.com/files/bleed_glow_good.png

1 Like