Good triangles count?

Hello, today i just created 3 heads for game.

but before i will made more i need some advice.

how many characters + eqipment should have triangles to work at 75% player computers. (And i don’t mean people from USA, but a poorer countries like Poland).

how do you think?

actually i create characters + eq for them with something like ~ 1800 triangles.

here is example:

http://i.imgur.com/jr3MK.jpg(my avatar for now :slight_smile: )

http://i.imgur.com/31eFe.jpg

and i must add it will be for game in diablo 3 style. so i need to know triangles count per character for this kind of game.

Thanks for help!

1 Like

For a rough guideline, dexsoft often uses levels around 10k,6k,3k for their 3 lod levels.

I suggest useing normal and parralax maps for details (and for high end rigs maybee tesselation at some point in future)

So I would go with the as few as are needed for contours and animations, normalmaps can be used mostly everything else.

Keep in mind that jme3 current uses cpu based animations, so having many high poly objects will reduce performance probably quite a bit untill hardwareskinning is supported.

this show pretty good what I mean.

http://ja.gram.pl/upl/blogi/264034/img_wpisy/2008_05/postacie.jpg

2 Likes

yea, i love normal maps.

and for high end rigs maybee tesselation at some point in future

actually i dont know how to use it :roll:

Keep in mind that jme3 current uses cpu based animations, so having many high poly objects will reduce performance probably quite a bit untill hardwareskinning is supported.

but having high poly NOT ANIMATED objects is ok?

i had a test with character and SceneComposer. i copied character(non textured) 10x times, and gived to all objects animation. FPS don't changed(so im happy somehow). i also thinked that if part of characters use same materials then it is faster.
1 Like

Animatied objects (currently) need to be send to gpu each frame when they animate. Static objects not, so yes poly count is mostly for animated important.

About tesselation dont worry about that for the enxt 4-5 years ^^. As it is neither in the official jme3 core, and only supported by the current high end graficcards with a acceptable performance.

Normalmaps would be the ones you want to use. They are also the ones doing the difference between picture 2 and 3.

I suggest googleing for tutorials for blender /3dsmax wichever you use. In both there exist way to create a ultra high polygon object, and a low poly object and generate the map out of the difference.

2 Likes

yeah, there was in blender a way to do it with multiresolution & Sculpt Mode(or something like that).

im not afraid on more details(becouse its not hard to do it), but i was afraid i could have actually too many triange count(becouse its harder to change mesh for more lowpoly - and not using decimate).

but if you say 3k is good, then i will keep my 2k to be sure :roll:

Well 2k should be fine, if later when you have something playable get performance issues because of it, you can add lod then , and use a crappy decimated 1k mesh for distant units or similar.

1 Like

It actually depends on your target, and how many animated character you’ll have at the same time on screen.

I’d say for desktop 5k for the main character is good you can even go to 8k.

2k would be the max limit for android.

Also not that the object count will matters a lot more for performance than the poly count. So don’t be too focused on the polycount, especially if you are targeting desktop computers.

1 Like

Speaking from experience, having many objects and few vertices is more consuming than having few objects with many vertices. In my game I’ll be using ~2000 vertices for the main character - giving him just one light to keep it consistent.

1 Like
It actually depends on your target, and how many animated character you’ll have at the same time on screen.
I’d say for desktop 5k for the main character is good you can even go to 8k.
2k would be the max limit for android.

this game will have isometric/rotatable camera. something like Guild wars, but more isometric.

target are desktop, linux and windows. so that is why i would ask about DDS format. is it working via openGL good? will it be better to use for characters?

Also not that the object count will matters a lot more for performance than the poly count. So don’t be too focused on the polycount, especially if you are targeting desktop computers.

having many objects and few vertices is more consuming than having few objects with many vertices. In my game I’ll be using ~2000 vertices for the main character – giving him just one light to keep it consistent.

it is bad information for me, becouse i have splitted head / leftArm/ rightArm / legs to be able to "cut" this parts. should i have less of it, or somehow play with custom mesh and cut it via code or something?

or you mean many objects by many materials?

I did the same thing. Since I’m working on an RPG, I have to split the character into roughly 5 parts. However, it shouldn’t be a big problem. I created a grid of 10000 polygons. Each had 6 vertices - totalling to 60000 vertices. Watching 7000 of these made the fps drop to 22 on my PC. However, reducing them by half increased the fps to 44. And let’s face it, you won’t need more than 100 objects, at most, do you?

1 Like

So you watched 7k grids each with 60k polygons? And it rendered at 22fps?

:o

1 Like

yes 100 will be maximum number / max animated players in screen is 20 / estimated(average): ~6

Sorry - I edited it, It totalled to 60K vertices.

1 Like

@oxplay2, I’d say that even 1000 would be ok. Although you’d be straying into a danger zone.

1 Like
@oxplay2 said:
yes 100 will be maximum number / max animated players in screen is 20 / estimated(average): ~6

Yeah it's totally fine
1 Like

I’d say that even 150 objects would work perfectly fine.

1 Like

thank you all so much for advise. 8)

now i understand why it is so hard to make optimised games.

@memonick:

i wish you good luck with your game :slight_smile: i also hope you dont make the same gameplay as me :roll:

JME should have more good games for Video Advertisments.

1 Like