Google SketchUp, Blender, and the jMonkey platform

For a little over a month I have been fiddling with the idea of importing some of my own models into the application that I am making. As I was already knowledgeable with Google SketchUp program I decided to start my model making there. Since then I introduced myself to Blender but have yet to actually make a model with it. I plan on using SketchUp to craft my models and Blender as a conversion tool; however, I have trouble using the model in jMonkey.

I read several guides on this website to no dismay. The trouble lies with Blender: when I attempt follow this guide to create UV mapped textures (whatever that is), I do not have a list of functioning textures (i.e. the only ones in the list to select and edit are the checkered boxes). Let me remind you: I am using a model that was exploded and exported (to .3ds) with SketchUp. The model was originally a component, but by exploding it the geometries became separate; this may or may not cause Blender to show individual vertices/planes on the object view panel.

When I import the model (a .blend file) into the jMonkey platform I cannot see it in the preview panel. From there I can see the vertices/planes of the model once more.

As you can see, I am even confusing myself. I’d greatly appreciate any help that you can give me!

You should be able to export to .obj files directly from SketchUp. I never tried it, but some people have and it worked for them

I just tried uploading the .obj file (one exploded, one non-exploded) to jMonkey and both aren’t able to be seen in the model preview. Here’s the output that was given to me after trying to import the exploded model:

[java]Camera created (W: 320, H: 320)

DesktopAssetManager created.

Add locator: C:/Users/mjjbmitch/Documents/Google SketchUp 8

Loaded material definition: Phong Lighting

Edge or polygon detected in OBJ. Ignored.

Child (Police_Car_EXPLODED-geom-0) attached to this node (Police_Car_EXPLODED-objnode)

Child (Police_Car_EXPLODED-geom-1) attached to this node (Police_Car_EXPLODED-objnode)

Child (Police_Car_EXPLODED-geom-2) attached to this node (Police_Car_EXPLODED-objnode)

Child (Police_Car_EXPLODED-geom-3) attached to this node (Police_Car_EXPLODED-objnode)

Child (Police_Car_EXPLODED-geom-4) attached to this node (Police_Car_EXPLODED-objnode)

Child (Police_Car_EXPLODED-geom-5) attached to this node (Police_Car_EXPLODED-objnode)

Child (Police_Car_EXPLODED-geom-6) attached to this node (Police_Car_EXPLODED-objnode)

Child (Police_Car_EXPLODED-geom-7) attached to this node (Police_Car_EXPLODED-objnode)

Child (Police_Car_EXPLODED-objnode) attached to this node (Root Node)

Uniform g_CameraPosition is not declared in shader [ShaderSource[name=Common/MatDefs/Light/Lighting.vert, defines, type=Vertex], ShaderSource[name=Common/MatDefs/Light/Lighting.frag, defines, type=Fragment]].

Uniform g_WorldMatrix is not declared in shader [ShaderSource[name=Common/MatDefs/Light/Lighting.vert, defines, type=Vertex], ShaderSource[name=Common/MatDefs/Light/Lighting.frag, defines, type=Fragment]].

Uniform m_ParallaxHeight is not declared in shader [ShaderSource[name=Common/MatDefs/Light/Lighting.vert, defines, type=Vertex], ShaderSource[name=Common/MatDefs/Light/Lighting.frag, defines, type=Fragment]].

Uniform m_UseMaterialColors is not declared in shader [ShaderSource[name=Common/MatDefs/Light/Lighting.vert, defines, type=Vertex], ShaderSource[name=Common/MatDefs/Light/Lighting.frag, defines, type=Fragment]].

Component hidden

Loaded material definition: Phong Lighting

Child (Police_Car_EXPLODED-geom-0) attached to this node (Police_Car_EXPLODED-objnode)

Child (Police_Car_EXPLODED-geom-1) attached to this node (Police_Car_EXPLODED-objnode)

Child (Police_Car_EXPLODED-geom-2) attached to this node (Police_Car_EXPLODED-objnode)

Child (Police_Car_EXPLODED-geom-3) attached to this node (Police_Car_EXPLODED-objnode)

Child (Police_Car_EXPLODED-geom-4) attached to this node (Police_Car_EXPLODED-objnode)

Child (Police_Car_EXPLODED-geom-5) attached to this node (Police_Car_EXPLODED-objnode)

Child (Police_Car_EXPLODED-geom-6) attached to this node (Police_Car_EXPLODED-objnode)

Child (Police_Car_EXPLODED-geom-7) attached to this node (Police_Car_EXPLODED-objnode)[/java]

Please note that for some reason, this was shown when I started the program:

[java]Error in assetpack, could not load assetpack.xml!

Error in assetpack, could not load assetpack.xml![/java]

Make the mesh triangles, also read up on game compatible models, knowing what UV maps are is absolutely necessary for game development.

You have to enable triangulation.

https://support.google.com/sketchup/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=114390

http://osbo.com/sketchup/triangulate/

After trying both methods, I still cannot manage to view it in the preview pane. It still says “component hidden”.

Okay, I can import things from Google SketchUp into jMonkey now; however, there is still a flaunting issue with importing shapes that were previously components. I explode them, etc., follow the steps that previously worked for me (located in this video), but the folder I place in the model section does not contain any textures and gives me an error when attempting to edit in the Scene Composer.

Perhaps you can post the model file with the issue? Are you still using the OBJ/MTL format?