Graphic issue with showing Cubes on Grid

Glad your problems fixed.

Now you see why you remove everything for a test case. Then add things back until the problem shows up. Had you removed everything, including the camera, you would of isolated the issue much quicker and easier.

1 Like

Also, rather than relying on the built-in chaseCamera controls, you may want to look at custom input handling to move the scene graph inversely to the user movement, e.g. pressing the (camera-relative) forward key actually translates the scene graph backward while camera remains stationary - rotation might be a bit more complex.

…but why?

There are valid reasons to do this… there are also pointless reasons to do it. The valid reasons will have their own ‘next steps’ and so on depending on why.

Also, at least one perceived valid reason to do it won’t really solve the problem… so it’s really important to ask. (Many believe this will solve precision problems but it will only make them worse is implemented in JME.)

Easiest answer woulb be: because a system with similar controls is already in use. To make it more universal I need to copy it.

Meaning: if I press left mouse button the whole scene should rotate in whichever point the cursor pointed at. If I press right mouse botton the whole scene should move (left, right, up, down, out of the camera view, whatever the user wants to do). If I use the wheel the SG should come closor to the camera or further away. Everything with a static camera.

But I think I should be able to figure something out with the entries in the forum and Hello Picking, right? The biggest issue I have right now is: How do I lock onto empty space? What if a user doesn’t pick one of my geometries but empty space because they just want to rotate or move the SG in that specific point.

In that case, whether you move the camera or the scene makes no difference… it’s just different math.

As to the other, you’ll be handling the mouse clicks and you can do whatever you want with that information… regardless of whether or not anything on the screen there is a geometry. In the case there is geometry there, HelloPicking is the example you want to look at.

1 Like

What if a user doesn’t pick one of my geometries but empty space because they just want to rotate or move the SG in that specific point.

You should just store that point and affect its location by input actions you want.

1 Like