Ground Texture of Crysis

The terrain looks so good.How to even approach this type of terrain? Do we need normal map & parallax map at the same time? or other tricks are needed?

The main ingredient here is talent IMO…those assets are brilliants

but yeah I guess normal map, and parallax maps are heavily used here

Yeah, nothing fancy, just good assets :stuck_out_tongue:

But the ground texture has a lot of variation, & its a lot high res. Do I need to go for a single big high res map and tile it.

It looks wet, are they also using spec map?

Yes, diffuse, color normal, specular map at least, maybe some SSAO shadows or something for the long shadows, but the apparent “detail” results from the textures. You will have to weigh which objects you can combine and which would be single objects.

They must have some batched ground geometries to render (some rocks, plants etc), with a good lod system, you can get them pretty high res at short range, same for textures. And yes they probably use a specular map.

Huge amount of work! :frowning:

Sounds nearly impossible without a good editor to get this level of aesthetic beauty.

Yep, no chance to get there with “programmer art” :wink:

normen said:
Yep, no chance to get there with "programmer art" ;)

What are you trying to say? My neon red lines, stick figure enemies and green boxes aren't realistic? WUUUUUUT? :cry:

;)

~FlaH
iamcreasy said:
Huge amount of work! :(
Sounds nearly impossible without a good editor to get this level of aesthetic beauty.

Well...this is crysis. The game is made by professionals, that made their own engine....which is now known as the best engine in the world...
They surely have a lot of talented artists in Crytek. And...they get paid :p

This game was also known as the best looking game ever (at least when it got released).
So..if your game looks a little less nice...that's fair ;)

hehe…i was thinking about replicating a Crysis environment using jME3 :evil: . But, i wanna give the player opportunity to walk around a little bit… massive amount of manual labor. :cry:

There are 2 ways to handle this :

1 - Work on your own for several decades, without any social interaction except through this forum, quit sleeping, and more generally quit any kind of distracting behavior.

2 - Get a team.

:wink:

then…may be just a steady scene, with wind blowing.

i think it can be bearable. :slight_smile:

3 Solution buy the crytec engine with unlimited asset access (like if you are far to rich) then you can just copy paste theirs ^^

EmpirePhoenix said:
3 Solution buy the crytec engine with unlimited asset access (like if you are far to rich) then you can just copy paste theirs ^^

And let us borrow a few ;)