Hand in first person view

How do I make the hand or gun be visible in a first person game? Example:

Is it a 2d render of all the animations possible?

Another question. What is the usual way to handle first person camras. Do you actually have a player model that is there and update the camera to its face or just have the camera set to a position that could be its face?

Regarding the first person camera:
https://wiki.jmonkeyengine.org/legacy/doku.php/jme3:advanced:making_the_camera_follow_a_character
If you want a real first person view, there is no need to create a model for the player. I think you do need something to detect hits (ghostControl maybe?) at the cameras location.

Regarding the gun and hand:
If you want it simple, maybe just using an image and attach it to the guiNode? If it should be more advanced, you could create a CameraNode and attach the gun to it, together with some particle emitters for the nozzle flash. This object then can be animated or maybe you can create the entire object including animations in Blender.

1 Like

Thanks! I will look into that.

Another question, I know about the terrainmonkey feature to have terrain loaded in chunks, but how would I manage that with other objects and events for my game?

You needing paging for that. I know a few people have worked on various paging solutions but I’m not sure what the status of them is.

http://hub.jmonkeyengine.org/forum/topic/generic-paging-system-for-jme/

1 Like

Thanks, I will look into that too.

Now, another question, sorry. What about a system for customizing a character? Such as clothes for body parts and skin color and “shape” of body. How would one do that?

One more thing, should I use the jmonkeyengine scenes, or write my own code to load text files that specify which models and materials to load and areas for events and whatever else I need for an rpg map.

Only you know your game design well enough to say, however that is what the jme scene composer is designed to do (and it gets more features all the time).

@8Keep123 said: Thanks, I will look into that too.

Now, another question, sorry. What about a system for customizing a character? Such as clothes for body parts and skin color and “shape” of body. How would one do that?

Use the search functionality on these forums :wink: