Help with ideas

Hello, i am kind of new to this and I was wondering what kind of game i should make thats simple but can help me grasp how to use this engine.

i know the basic functions of the classes i just dont want to try anything way out of my range of skill

Well what is a fun simple game that you like to play? If you know of one, maybe try to build upon it as a starting point? I haven’t actually made it to the point of making a game yet. Mainly just learning the basics of jME.

Go with a classic arcade game. Rule sets and scope is usually pretty simple;

Space Invaders, Pong, Pacman, Defender, etc

In addition, there are usually java tutorials on the web already for these kinds of games.

I wish more beginners would ask this question instead of diving straight into MMORPG grand(fail)eur… @rickard’s advice is solid: Recreating an old game takes away much of the hassle in design, and lets you focus mainly on the technical challenges. You’re still free to challenge yourself design-wise though, by trying redesign 2D design elements into something that could only be done in 3D.

Another thing that’s fun about redesigning old concepts with modern technology is that you can adopt game designs that had great merit, but failed execution-wise, as discussed in this Gamasutra Article.

Maybe when your experiments come to an end and you’re ready to make a proper game, you’ll realize this concept actually has real merit as a modern 3D game.

lol i am thinking of some MMO idea i want to do later but right now i know i dont have enough skill to actually succeed

dann12 said:
lol i am thinking of some MMO idea i want to do later but right now i know i dont have enough skill to actually succeed

lol this is what i am working at. It is going to be a simple mmo, so maybe you can join? ;)

but as a beginning game, why not make a simple 3D platform game? it's pretty easy to do with the physics engine.

thx for the offer, i might take u up on that after i get some experience

good luck!

If you want to join me, please go to this link: http://hub.jmonkeyengine.org/groups/free-announcements/forum/topic/back-to-cretaceous/ and leave a reply