Hermit coming out of his cave (my current game project)

So, I have been working with JME off and on for a few years now. Though I really enjoyed it, I had not really sat down decided to complete a full game. Mainly, I just did demo/concept type projects. Like most hobbyist game coders, I also tended to bite off more than I could chew. I don’t remember ever posting on the forums before. Usually any questions or comments I might have are covered by someone else.

I have finally decided to come out of my cave and join the community. I am really bad about social networking etc. I never have time to keep up with it all. However, my current project has reached a point where I feel that I should share it. Also, I am confident that it will actually be completed.

My working title is:
Code Red: An Adventure in Altered Space

It is heavily influenced by the game Altered Space for the Gameboy. I had the pleasure to talk with the original designer/coder for that game and he gave me his blessing. It is an old school action iso adventure about a space man trying to escape his alien captures. Mine is very similar in game play and is intended as a spiritual sequel.

I offer first look to everyone here at JME:

Temporary Menu Art:

Editor:

As I am sure all of you know, this represents an enormous amount of effort and lost (spent) free time. I am the only person working on it and I have a day job :wink:

Well, anyway, thanks for humoring me! And especially thanks to all the JME contributers over the years!

8 Likes

Heyyy, that looks really nice. It reminds me of a game I played on Amiga where you were a bot had to take over other bots by connecting to them and playing a minigame… Or kill them when you had big enough weapons :wink:

All the best with this, make some videos so we can feature your work :smiley:

I was an Amiga freak …still have 3 of them. I actually use a game I played on Amiga to describe it

Code Red is still in the early stages for much of the game play, I could make a video of walking around, navigating the maze and avoiding bad guys but not much else at this time.

:smiley: I just got some parts to build myself a set of synthesizers out of the SID chips from the later Amigas ^^

Very nice!! keep up the good work

Pretty cool project you got there! :smiley:

oh wow, that looks very polished. Are there always 2 walls, or do you make them invisble if a ray collides?

The near walls are always culled (they are actually there), though I plan to make it so that you can change your camera facing. Doing an operation to fade them out etc, seemed unnecessary. I plan to do the level design with a minimum of objects occluding your character from most facings.

This is a little unrelated, but how do I post a new topic, with the new layout of the site ?

would somebody be kind to give me a screenshoot and a link ^^ ? (I have searched, and didn’t find anything that looked like the old image with post topic :slight_smile: )

This is a little unrelated, but how do I post a new topic, with the new layout of the site ?

would somebody be kind to give me a screenshoot and a link ^^ ? (I have searched, and didn’t find anything that looked like the old image with post topic :) )

You go to the forum you want to post in and post… At the bottom of the forum page theres the index, at the bottom of each forum theres a post field.

1 Like

Those are some very good looking screen shots. I like the style :slight_smile:

Wow that looks really good!
Definitely keep us posted on your progress.