High speed grass rendering using glsl shader

BlackBluegL said:

You can lower the vertics count by using triangle instead of quads. Scale up the triangles and the texture coords down to 1/4.
Perhaps that brings few more FPS.

I've tried triangles instead of quads, but on my system the fillrate is the main bottleneck... and the tris are larger then the quads, which leads to fewer fps. I might try triangles again, on computer other configurations.
EmperorLiam said:

I think you could really optimize this by increasing the width of the quads the farther out you go, there by decreasing poly count and math related to skinning etc.. have to tile the grass tex on the wide quads of course.

Thanks for the tips.
I have experimented with different sizes, and LOD, where I reduce the number of quads farther away, but I haven

make a webstart-demo, and then the forum users test for you on many different configurations. :wink:

I would also test the speed in connection with my TerrainShader.

http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/jmeforum/index.php?topic=3710.msg33286#msg33286

http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/jmeforum/index.php?topic=4637.0

BlackBluegL said:

I would also test the speed in connection with my TerrainShader.

I would like that too, I'm working full time on this project, so I hope I will be able to submit something that can be used by others soon.

you're my new best freind  :smiley:

Hey, since were on the topic of glsl shader…

How hard is it, what program do you use if any?

I downloaded RenderMonkey, and they have a fur demo on there… I think the same method for grass would be great.

EmperorLiam said:

Hey, since were on the topic of glsl shader...

How hard is it, what program do you use if any?

I downloaded RenderMonkey, and they have a fur demo on there... I think the same method for grass would be great.

This rendermonkey example looks good, but the fps is to slow for good gameplay  ^^

hi, two month later… no info ?

I have extended the techniques and worked on creating forests… I have no nice screen shots with both the grass and trees, but this forest picture will do for now.

My plan is to release a webstart soon. Then hopefully at least parts of the code. :slight_smile:

P.S. ignore the frame rate in the picture, with a good graphics card, it will be a lot better.

what is a good graphics card? :stuck_out_tongue:

btw: nice screenshot :wink:

The view distance in the screen shot works good for newer more expensive cards (there are so many cards), with a shorter view distance, I get 60+ FPS with a  GF 7300 LE. The code and shaders are very inefficient and unoptimized at the moment… so I don't think the frame rate now is a good measurement.

Looks great!  Can't wait to see the full working demo.

Butters!

There was a topic on the Ogre forums for rendering huge forests - there may be some techniques in that topic of interest.

you probably mean this one:

http://www.ogre3d.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=24918&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Thanks for the tips, I will look through it :slight_smile:

I will probably in about three weeks time have a webstart demo that you can try out, and maybe some source code :slight_smile:

What happened with the wire-frame screenshots?  :roll:

I would like to dive a little deeper into it to see how you achieved it. Can you give some more details?

What happened with the wire-frame screenshots?

They can be found in this thread.

I would like to dive a little deeper into it to see how you achieved it. Can you give some more details?

I will probably post some source later, when I've had time to clean it up a bit. If you want to know more I guess you have to ask more specific questions :)

Yeah, sorry I missed them, I must have skipped the second page of the thread

Would you be so kind to share some shader programs with the public? I am working on grass to in my opensource project. Would be nice to know how you are doing it!