How do I remove the keyboard and/or mouse binding inherent in JME?

I am trying to run my own Java application in parallel with a JME Game where my application controls the movement of objects within the JME Game.  The problem is that my application controls the JME Game based on button pushes on a Java Swing component, but as soon as the JME Game begins execution, the keyboard and mouse are bound to the JME application, and I am unable to push buttons within my Java Swing component.  I have been using the latest release of the jars to run JME.  I have tried to "unbind" the keyboard and/or mouse while still utilizing SimpleGame, but I can't seem to figure out how to make that work.  I also tried writing my own Game type that inherits from Base Game and that doesn't have an Input Manager, but the keyboard and mouse still appear to be bound (probably from within BaseGame).  I realize that I'll likely need to download the source code and make some modifications for my application, but I would like to avoid that if at all possible.  Any ideas??  Thanks!

1. MouseInput.get().setCursorVisible( true ); // to release the mouse from the lwjgl window
  2. input = new InputHandler(); // to disable all default bindings from SimpleGame (including P for pause etc.)

That was a speedy response!!

I'll give it a try tonight.  Thanks again!