How do you handle chineese contributions?

:sweat_smile: I still cant read it.

1 Like

Did it look exactly like the one before? If so maybe try refresh the page or clear cache?

1 Like

I refreshed the page, it changes from asdasdasdadsasd to zxczxczxczxczxczxc

1 Like

ok, im trying to set up the style sheets to see if it helps. Ill also change laguages and set up some links to each one, maybe we get lucky.

1 Like

Just finished my Chapter 1. Introduce jME3.

1 Like

I use it for comparison on translation.

1 Like

Disclaimer: not Chinese nor English is my native.
Do you see any point in doing such translations at all? I mean technically no doubt you can do it, but for any further step you (or, more likely people who you’re translating for) will have to go to English references anyway. JME source code / javadoc = English. Oracle’s (yeah, very tiny) JDK documentation = English. Question on this forum = English. Screenshot, that you want to share = English, if it contains vital text. Etc.
It is not some kind of end-user “thing in itself” like MS Office or, say, Photoshop, that you can translate once per version and your local user will be happy. It is constantly growing and changing world of development, and besides the amount, besides inevitable time delays - there’s also inevitable translation loss just due to words ambiguity depending on context (and sometimes missing full word equivalents in local language btw). Don’t you think it is just kind of useless work? No offense, I’m just curious. Maybe I’m missing something, really. But so far I have strong disbelief that this kind of localization could be of any good… at least, to my language for sure.

1 Like
  1. Make students try the first taste.
    Arouse the interest of students, so that they have the opportunity to read the original document and source code.

2. Make learning curve smoother.
    Mother tongue is easier to understand than foreign language.

3. Translation is a way I learn new stuff.
    The use of another language to explain the concept, forcing me to deepen understanding of jMonkeyEngine3.

4. Contribution to the community.
    Why not?

1 Like

I see. Well, points 1 and 3 (especially 3) taken. I can agree on 2 under assumption that you strongly emphasize to them, that besides you give them some “look and feel” now, they will have to learn the language up to at least “technical reading” level and that’s unavoidable base requirement for any real modern software development (including games ofc). Otherwise it is a joke. And point 4 looks the most questionable to me. Translations like these - when they don’t have attached teacher with them to comment (in your case they have, but in general they don’t) - give evil illusion that this requirement is somehow avoidable. And the better the translation is - the deeper the illusion, the easier it looks to enter. But, in the end it is counterproductive and just takes longer time to travel to the same conclusion that if you want to cope with the technology pace - you have to be able to read the references, and, like it or not, it is English in modern world. Any translation is inevitably later and prone to errors. And the main point I would stress as early as possible is that any claim sort of: “I want to learn programming, I don’t want to learn English!” is a nonsense in reality, if we speak something being not the very basic theory like “what is the cycle”. I went to that understanding myself and that was much longer way than it would be if somebody would tell me how things really look like from starters. So I really, really doubt that in general translations in this area help and save time. Actually they slow down one’s progress in overall. The longer one is provided with translations (worse than original by design) - the more he becomes used to a good will (and availability) of a translator. This one by its own limits his autonomy and progression. Illusions can be a good thing in game, not IRL. Just my humble two cents :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am not opposed to reading the original docs in English, and never expect that people can spend less time. IMO, the knowledge people need to study is a CONSTANT, the time spend on it is a VARIABLE. The only way to smoother the learning curve is just spend more time.

Translation only makes the first step easier, no more than that. People who has desire to learn something must make great efforts, those who just waiting others to teach them will be eliminated.

A poor Chinese translation lead me to the community to ask for help in 2015. If I never read that article talking about jMonkeyEngine3, maybe I’ll never know it. The earlier we start learning, the earlier we understand it. That would be enough help.

1 Like