How to edit dataset?

Finally getting my nose into the OpenRTS. Wow! I’m quite overwhelmed :smile:

One question: how do you edit the dataset XML? (read: I hope you have a smart tool :stuck_out_tongue: )

We will soon have an entity editor, Thanks to @wuendsch ! But for now, you’ll have to edit xml manually.

1 Like

yes, please try it and give feedback. It will help to make it better. Thx.

1 Like

In the meanwhile, there is a hopefully usefull wiki !

Cannot complete the install because one or more required items could not be found.
Software being installed: OpenRTS Entity Editor 1.0.0.201506222030 (org.openrts.entitydsl.sdk.feature.group 1.0.0.201506222030)
Missing requirement: OpenRTS Entity Editor 1.0.0.201506222030 (org.openrts.entitydsl.sdk.feature.group 1.0.0.201506222030) requires ‘org.eclipse.core.resources 3.9.1’ but it could not be found

:frowning:

On Indigo Service Release 2

hi,
I hope you followed the complete install-instructions? Did you add the other update-site?
if yes, then i must be the following thing:eclipse Indigo is 3.7.X right? 3.9.1 is needed.
Is it possible to use a newer eclipse release?

1 Like

Mars liked it better! :smile:

I’ve installed it. Now… what? Where is it?

Sorry, I forgot to add this in the Readme of the github project. I fixed it. Here is text:

How it works

Just create a file with *.rts extension. If you double click it, it will be opened in the OpenRTS Editor. Now you have autocompletion, syntax highlighting and so on.

OK, I’ve tried it and is very cool with error checking and all :smile:

I’d like to have a “spreadsheet-like” view of the values, so that I can easily compare the damage of the tank missile with the damage of the turret or whatever.

In the past, I actually made the dataset on google sheet, then exported a csv, and finally (urgh) compiled the csv into a .java source file.

1 Like

Would it be possible to make a rule so that Definition type is a loadable class (that extends Builder)? So that we can have definitions like this:

<catalog> <mypackage.MyBuilder id="MyID"> <Type value="whathever"/> </mypackage.MyBuilder> </catalog>

I created a github issue for this: https://github.com/meltzow/OpenRTS-EntityEditor/issues/2 please comment for more details.

On my fork, I’ve deleted almost everything and tweaked something. I did this because I want to use the resulting library for my game, but I’m not sure if I want to include all the rest of RTS stuff. So, maybe I should publish the lib as a separate project (temporarily codenamed GoldMonkey).

Then, OpenRTS will require some refactoring for leveraging the new lib, and I can help with that.

What do you think?

First problem: I’m using the same gradle file of OpenRTS, therefore I should tweak it and I’ll need @wuendsch advice.

Why not ! you’ contributor at OpenRTS repository, so feel free to do the refactor in a branch.

Did it! :smile:

@wuendsch Next week I’ll create a branch of OpenRTS that uses GoldMonkey. How should I modify the .gradle of OpenRTS-core so that it includes the GoldMonkey gradle jar?

the easiest way is to use subprojects in gradle. (Structuring and Building a Software Component with Gradle ). Currently we have one root directory and two subproject (core and example). Today I create a new subproject server on my branch network. If the root project is build, all subproject are build if wanted. To integrate a new subporject is really easy. It completely described in the gradle documentation.
But I am sure the challenge is to split up the source in a smart way. Let my know, if you have commited your first branch version. Than I am able to help you.