How to run the SDK?

SDK is built with no errors but where is it located? How do I get it up and running?

now inside folder ā€œdistā€ there should be ā€œjmonkeyplatform.zipā€.
unzip it, executable is inside folder ā€œbinā€

There is no dist folder, but when I ran gradle.bat buildSdk I got no errors:

Failed to get repository info: repository not found: C:\projects5\sdk-master. Only partial build info will be generated.
:cleanSdk
Trying to override old definition of task updatesdkdeps
Trying to override old definition of task fixwikilinks
Trying to override old definition of task loadwikiimages
Trying to override old definition of task updatenbdeps
:copyBaseLibs
:copyProjectLibs
:copyTestSources
:createBaseXml
:createProjectXml UP-TO-DATE
:checkPlatformConfig UP-TO-DATE
:overrideHarness UP-TO-DATE
:buildSdk
[ant:nb-javac] warning: [options] bootstrap class path not set in conjunction with -source 1.6
[ant:parseprojectxml] The module org.netbeans.modules.java.hints.legacy.spi has been deprecated
[ant:parseprojectxml] The module org.netbeans.modules.java.hints.legacy.spi has been deprecated
[ant:nb-javac] warning: [options] bootstrap class path not set in conjunction with -source 1.6
[ant:nb-javac] C:\projects5\sdk-master\jme3-code-check\src\com\jme3\gde\codecheck\hints\InternalMethodHint.java:18: warning: [deprecation] AbstractHint in org.netbeans.modules.java.hints.spi has been deprecated
[ant:nb-javac] import org.netbeans.modules.java.hints.spi.AbstractHint;
[ant:nb-javac] ^
[ant:nb-javac] C:\projects5\sdk-master\jme3-code-check\src\com\jme3\gde\codecheck\hints\ReadOnlyPrimitiveHint.java:17: warning: [deprecation] AbstractHint in org.netbeans.modules.java.hints.spi has been deprecated
[ant:nb-javac] C:\projects5\sdk-master\jme3-code-check\src\com\jme3\gde\codecheck\hints\TempVarsHint.java:20: warning: [deprecation] AbstractHint in org.netbeans.modules.java.hints.spi has been deprecated
[ant:nb-javac] C:\projects5\sdk-master\jme3-code-check\src\com\jme3\gde\codecheck\hints\UpdateHint.java:17: warning: [deprecation] AbstractHint in org.netbeans.modules.java.hints.spi has been deprecated
[ant:nb-javac] C:\projects5\sdk-master\jme3-code-check\src\com\jme3\gde\codecheck\hints\InternalMethodHint.java:18: warning: [deprecation] AbstractHint in org.netbeans.modules.java.hints.spi has been deprecated
[ant:nb-javac] C:\projects5\sdk-master\jme3-code-
ā€¦ (really long) ā€¦
[ant:nb-javac] C:\projects5\sdk-master\build\public-package-jars\org-openide-windows.jar(org/openide/windows/OnShowing.class): warning: Cannot find annotation method ā€˜serviceType()ā€™ in type ā€˜NamedServiceDefinitionā€™
[ant:nb-javac] C:\projects5\sdk-master\build\public-package-jars\org-openide-windows.jar(org/openide/windows/OnShowing.class): warning: Cannot find annotation method ā€˜position()ā€™ in type ā€˜NamedServiceDefinitionā€™
[ant:nb-javac] 20 warnings
[ant:jarwithmoduleattributes] C:\projects5\sdk-master\jme3-dark-laf\manifest.mf: use of spec.version.base with non-integer OpenIDE-Module-Implementation-Version from org.netbeans.modules.editor.settings.storage
(see http://wiki.netbeans.org/DevFaqImplementationDependency)
(define spec.version.base.fatal.warning=false in project.properties to make this be a nonfatal warning)

BUILD SUCCESSFUL

Total time: 57.702 secs

Do I have to run something else to get a dist folder?

Oops sorry
there is one step remaining.

ant -f ./sdk build-zip

see

or instead of ant -f ./sdk build-zip you can do following :

1 Like

I tried to follow these instructions:

clone master
cd jmonkeyengine
./gradlew build
ant -f ./sdk build-zip
zip is in sdk/dist/jmonkeyplatform.zip

The first problem I ran into was that the SDK does not have a jmonkeyengine directory. So, I downloaded the jmonkeyengine seperately and built it. However, I still cannot run ā€œant -f ./sdk build-zipā€ because there is no sdk file.

update: (now outdated, see below)

I figured it out.

You put the SDK (master branch from github) into the jmonkeyengine (master branch from github) and follow the instructions above, I slightly modified it:

ant -f ./sdk/build.xml build-zip

to point it specifically to the ant build file and it works.

(Edited: I spoke too soon. These instructions are apparently outdated. I am going to try the instruction from Darkchaos in the next post.)

1 Like

That sdk folder is pretty old and only applies to 3.0 until 3.1-alpha1.
What you want is simply cloning the sdk repository (instead of jmonkeyengine)

Then you can/should run build_engine.sh or on windows mimic what it does. Checking out the engine itself in the engine/ folder and then run ./gradlew install on it.

Afterwards you can run ./gradlew buildSdk and after itā€™s built simply issue ant run

If you want to overwrite your real install, you might be better with executing ant build-zip instead of ant run (which runs the sdk out of the source directory)

btw: You can always see inside of the .travis.yml file in the repo

2 Likes

I followed your instructions and did an ā€œant runā€ and it seems to be taking a long time on:

ā€¦
MLDataObject-MIME_XSD_XML-Registration.xml, org-netbeans-libs-freemarker-FreemarkerFactory-Registration.xml, org-netbeans-modules-xml-XMLDataObject-Registration.xml, org-netbeans-modules-java-hints-declarative-test-DeclarativeHintsTestDataObject-Extension.xml]
[exec] WARNING [org.netbeans.modules.java.j2seplatform.libraries.J2SELibraryTypeProvider]: Can not resolve URL: nbinst://com.jme3.gde.project.baselibs/libs/null
[exec] WARNING [org.netbeans.modules.java.j2seplatform.libraries.J2SELibraryTypeProvider]: Can not resolve URL: nbinst://com.jme3.gde.project.baselibs/libs/null

It is just stopped there. I can keep on waiting, but I suspect something is wrong.

update:

I did an ā€œant buildā€ instead and it seems to have worked fine. However, build does not make the zip, so I did an ā€œant build-zipā€ as suggested above, and it made the zip.

Oh, wow, this SDK is neat! Thank you Ali and Darkchaos for helping me get this set up. Well, now I should be good to go for quite some time (fingers crossed). Thanks again!

2 Likes

Actually the buildSdk gradle command should call ant build or ant run should also trigger it, but nevertheless when it works, it works :smiley:

1 Like