HUD - Minecraft style item

Hey guys do you have any idea how I could make an item

that when equipped looks just like in Minecraft.

Example: Pickaxe, you know when you hold it you can see it on the right of you screen and it is taked from a 2D image but then kindof streched over z axis?

How can I get that effect?

An image example:

http://www.templeofmick.com/blogw/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Minecraft_0006_Layer-3.jpg (Note the pick on the right)

Why not just put it in the 3d world in front of your camera?

(That may well be what minecraft does, although I’ve not played it so I don’t really know).

He means the quad with the transparent texture (hint, hint) thats the wielded item.

@normen said:
He means the quad with the transparent texture (hint, hint) thats the wielded item.

Yea but it's not 3D then D:
So I don't get the effect I want :(
Only if I place like 200 quads next to each other.

Why don’t you use a model? Any particular reason?

What you are trying to do isn’t particularly difficult. If the effect you are going for is what I think then just attach a quad to your character model’s hand. If you don’t have a character model then you should at least have a node that you keep positioned with the camera (there is a class for that).

@memonick said:
Why don't you use a model? Any particular reason?

Efficiency, I don't want to waste a full day just on creating models, I think it would be easier if I just made
a 2D drawing and then in kind of thickens it. Because the graphics aren't so important in my game.
@pspeed said:
What you are trying to do isn't particularly difficult. If the effect you are going for is what I think then just attach a quad to your character model's hand. If you don't have a character model then you should at least have a node that you keep positioned with the camera (there is a class for that).

Quad doesn't look 3D-ish like the model, can you thicken a quad?
@ivandonat said:
Quad doesn't look 3D-ish like the model, can you thicken a quad?

I thought you wanted it to look like Minecraft which I remembered being flat.

There is no built in way to do what you want so you will have to write the code.

… just draw it in blender and extrude once, done. if you want a 3d model, make a 3d model.

@pspeed said:
I thought you wanted it to look like Minecraft which I remembered being flat.

There is no built in way to do what you want so you will have to write the code.

Kay, I think I will analyze the pic and then make it into little blocks.

@normen said:
... just draw it in blender and extrude once, done. if you want a 3d model, make a 3d model.

I will think about that.

It is not so hard really. Just run trough the image and at every non-transparent pixel you create a quad with appropriate uv coordinates. Then batch it into one spatial. Done! :slight_smile:

@Dodikles said:
It is not so hard really. Just run trough the image and at every non-transparent pixel you create a quad with appropriate uv coordinates. Then batch it into one spatial. Done! :)

How many times do I have to tell this. You can't EXTRUDE quads.
So it doesn't give me that 3D look I want

THEN CREATE A CUBE INSTEAD!!! OM*G… it’s so goddamn easy!!!

@Dodikles said:
THEN CREATE A CUBE INSTEAD!!!!! OM*G.... it's so goddamn easy!!!

I thought about that but now I need to figure out how to scan the nontransparent image.

EDIT: I will use an array of an array of ints that hold the color information and make it ingame :)
Thanks a lot guys