Huge Scene?

First of all i want to say jme Rules!!

i had a question if anyone has implemented huge scenes in jme ( Like outdoor world or somthing like that )( i am sure there must be someone).

How can it be done? Creating some king of grid that loads and unloads objects an textures when they are not in the grid. Because if its big world you have lots textures and objects you dont use. ( and you can't load them all )

Or i am thinking in wrong direction and there is a better way!!! 

THX

kalvis said:

Creating some king of grid that loads and unloads objects an textures when they are not in the grid. Because if its big world you have lots textures and objects you dont use.

That's the perfect solution. If you are experienced enough to read and modify a lot of code, you should have a look at jmeterra.
The source code and usage of the framework may be intimidating, but it more than makes up for that by having a lot of things covered that you probably haven't even thought of yet in the early stages of your project design.
hevee said:

If you are experienced enough to read and modify a lot of code, you should have a look at jmeterra.
The source code and usage of the framework may be intimidating, but it more than makes up for that by having a lot of things covered that you probably haven't even thought of yet in the early stages of your project design.

Can someone perhaps summarize the state of jmeterra and terrain in jMe in general atm? I know there have been several option/systems available.. but I have not been able to really piece together a full picture of what is available and what is advisable... I am sure such information would also be perfect for this thread...

TerrainBlock

For relatively small heightmaps, to see how heightmap terrain works. While you can apply LOD to save on triangle count, the entire heightmap and all textures are always kept in memory (graphics card memory and/or RAM).

Very easy to use.

TerrainPage

Multiple TerrainBlocks paged in a quadtree, saves on triangle count and graphics memory, but will still keep the entire heightmap in RAM.

Only slightly less easy to use than TerrainBlock.

jmeterra

Virtually infinite heightmaps can be used by dynamically loading and unloading terrain parts on demand based on view distance.

You can also plug in your own loaders for terrain textures (not included with jmeterra!) and world geometry.

You will have to be able to read and understand somewhat complex source code to get anything done with jmeterra, but IMO it is more than worth it.

You might also want to look at Radakan's TileManager:

http://code.google.com/p/radakan/source/browse/trunk/radakan/src/com/radakan/game/tile/TileManager.java

It should be a lot simpler than jME-terra, and it serves it's purpose well…

Thanks guys, good info :slight_smile:

THX