I can't build the JavaDocs

Well, that's strange… I got the same problem today as I rebuild my javadoc for JME

within Netbeans 5.5 on a linux box here.

It didn't stop at the same class, though.

It DID work after I rebooted my computer and initiated a build of the

javadoc via ant in the console in verbose mode ("ant -v doc", if i'm not mistaken).

Strange thing, didn't see this on my windows computer…

Just a sidenote… With Java 6 i get countless "UTF-8" errors/warnings during

javadoc generation… Wrong encoding in the source files?

I finally got it to build.  I actually did it by accident.  I just left it sitting there after one of my numerous attempts to get it to build.  My terminal beeped at me some time later, and I discovered that it had built the docs.  Ant said it took 42 minutes.

There's got to be something seriously broken in there.

And people say we don't have enough documentation. :wink:

It does take a while to generate all the JavaDocs but that's a little excessive…do you build any other projects with JavaDocs?  Do they take a long time?

The javadocs build for me in under 10 minutes (AMD 4000+, 2 gigs ram, RAID1 drives). I submitted a patch to fix some javadoc warnings but I’m not sure where it stands on going into cvs.

I’m not sure what the UTF-8/Java 6 errors are about, I haven’t seen those yet but am using Sun JDK 6.0.

<rant>

I can’t give you an exact time because my raid controller tagged both of my dev drives as “bad” due to memory corruption from my northbridge overheating. I highly recommend against buying an NVidia4 motherboard with heatpipe cooling, the NV4 chipset just pumps out way too much heat and active cooling on the heatpipe doesn’t help enough. Even if it works for a while (had mine for a year), the constantly wear and tear from high heat will eventually get you in the situation I’m in. After a few hours of cursing I managed to get my data and hopefully newegg will have a speedy delivery so I can start the reinstall process.  :’(

</rant>

When I tried to build javadocs (through intellij) I first upped the heap to 128 Mb. That didn't help. It took forever (about an hour) before it ran out of heap. I then upped the heap to 512Mb. Then it went very fast, like 10 minutes.

Markus.Borbely said:

When I tried to build javadocs (through intellij) I first upped the heap to 128 Mb. That didn't help. It took forever (about an hour) before it ran out of heap. I then upped the heap to 512Mb. Then it went very fast, like 10 minutes.

Oh yep! I did set the heap to 512mb also. You can increase this by providing VM arguments to the javadoc command:

javadoc -J-Xms120m -J-Xmx512m

Maybe this could be defaulted in the build.xml to at least 256mb?