Incompatible with Java 7?

I’ve received reports that my game is not compatible with Java 7. Can somebody tell me if it is my fault, or just JME is not yet Java 7-compatible?

My game uses Java 7, so far no problem. If your game is done with Java 7 and it’s working fine on your side, problem is most likely on their end.

As of now I have yet to read a real report on Java 7’s incompatibility with jME3 or the SDK. Although it’s not impossible, at this stage I think it’s unlikely. But who knows. Maybe you’re doing something that was never taken into account… Somewhere…

Well I use jdk7 since update 1 without problems. What might be is that someone has a incompatible major version error, googled it and just read something about java7. The problem is of course that their java is not updated to 7. (If you dont need 7 features I suggest setting the compiler version to a lower level. (like 1.6) it will resolve those problems, without the need for every dau out there to update

without the need for every dau out there to update

I don't think everyone understands the acronym "Dümmerster anzunehmender Nutzer" here ;) ("Most stupid user that has to be taken into account"... Long translation^^)

What Empire is suggesting is that what most people still do I think. Java 7 was "officially" released a few weeks ago so it's not massivly spread right now.

(few content, assumptions, as always) If you talk about JDK7 on linux then there might be issues as they switched to the OpenJDK and thats definitely not 100% compatible. On OSX the current JDK7 (u7) broke support for the default .jnilib binary ending thus also breaking support for lwjgl (and any java binary for osx really). I heard some people not being able to run the SDK on Java7 under windows but that games won’t run on Java7/windows is new to me as well.

Well, I’m still on Java 6 and uses it on daily basis, so I already compile in lower level ;). The problem is people who tried to run on JRE 7 didn’t succeeded on that, but game runs fine on JRE 6 (my java -version says I have 1.6u26).

Any stack traces?

No, unfortunately person who reported this isn’t very bright if it comes to computers.

And you are 100% sure he uses a jre7 and not another one and is guessing some stuff?

Yes, he told me so. I don’t have any reason to nod believe him.

Except for the fact that +90% of us here say we don’t have problems with jre7.

Sucks to be troubleshooting this with a user that is, as you put it…

[the] person who reported this isn’t very bright if it comes to computers.

Madjack, I’ll send you on PM link to the same build that guy tried to run and you can tell me if it is ok and provide stacktrace if isn’t, ok?

Sure, but my time is very limited. So if there’s something wrong all you’ll get is a stack trace. If it works I’ll just tell you it works.

OK, I probably won’t need nothing more than ST.

Out of morbid curiosity, have you actually tried running it on Java 7, @dariuszg-jagielski?

Well, no because when I’ve tried to install it some months ago, it really screwed my system up (Minecraft nor any Java app(let) didn’t start or it looked really glitched (like NES game when you pull cartridge during gameplay)). After this horrific experience I never tried it again.

@dariuszg-jagielski said:
Well, no because when I've tried to install it some months ago, it really screwed my system up (Minecraft nor any Java app(let) didn't start or it looked really glitched (like NES game when you pull cartridge during gameplay)). After this horrific experience I never tried it again.

So you want other people to install Java 7 and do this testing for you then? It isn't hard to switch between multiple JVM's on a system, why not install the up-to-date hotspot and see what you get?