Indicators, Health Bars, Whatever... Pretty cool stuff

I’ve been playing around with the Indicator class in this library test a few things… and just wanted to post a vid of some of the stuff you can do with it. These are all using color indicators (e.g Not using a stretched image as the indicator) with no background layer image… so these are only a fraction of what you can actual do with it. But… they came out cool none the less.

[video]http://youtu.be/eYDclfNh7UA[/video]

9 Likes

Wow, really cool.

1 Like

Cool, I wish they were a nifty controller :frowning:

@normen said: Cool, I wish they were a nifty controller :(

Unfortunately, there are a two things happening here that could not be reproduced with Nifty. =(

1. The dynamic color changes based on values… this is using the interpolate method of ColorRGBA in the onChange event of the indicator
  2. The non-rectangular shaped indicators - this would not work with a stretched image, it uses clipping + alpha map.

Maybe these are things that void could add?

Heh well alpha would be the exact solution when combining the images I guess ^^ And colors / color overlays was one of the things I first saw in the nifty demo so that should be possible too. You might have overlooked the “renderer” classes in nifty.
At any instance I might be in need of some nice bars soon :wink:
The content of this post is meant to be read as a straight information or question without an implicit dismissive stance or interest in having the other party feel offended unless there’s emotes that hint otherwise or there’s an increased use of exclamation marks and all-capital words.

@normen said: Heh well alpha would be the exact solution when combining the images I guess ^^ And colors / color overlays was one of the things I first saw in the nifty demo so that should be possible too. You might have overlooked the "renderer" classes in nifty. At any instance I might be in need of some nice bars soon ;) The content of this post is meant to be read as a straight information or question without an implicit dismissive stance or interest in having the other party feel offended unless there's emotes that hint otherwise or there's an increased use of exclamation marks and all-capital words.

Oh… I wasn’t overly clear here.

I know Nifty can do the color interpolation… it’s combination of techniques that doesn’t seem to be possible =( i.e. a clipped rectange + alpha map…

On the other hand, if someone was to use a white image as there stretched image indicator in Nifty, they could at least apply the colors!

EDIT: This might be the solution that someone was asking about in another thread. I should test this!

Very Cool :slight_smile:

I love the purple arrow indicator and the “indicator” indicator x)

Thanks for the bug fix :).

1 Like
@t0neg0d said:Maybe these are things that void could add?
Talking to him now and he says it should be possible already ;) The content of this post is meant to be read as a straight information or question without an implicit dismissive stance or interest in having the other party feel offended unless there's emotes that hint otherwise or there's an increased use of exclamation marks and all-capital words.
@normen said: Talking to him now and he says it should be possible already ;) The content of this post is meant to be read as a straight information or question without an implicit dismissive stance or interest in having the other party feel offended unless there's emotes that hint otherwise or there's an increased use of exclamation marks and all-capital words.

Someone ought to put together a tutorial on how to do this. The question seems to come up frequently.

I’d love to see it when/if someone puts one together.

@t0neg0d said:I'd love to see it when/if someone puts one together.
Me too but not Jens himself, I rather like seeing him doing what he's doing currently ^^ If only there were lots of people putting their experiences together to work out edge cases and documentation for our GUI lib eh? ;P The content of this post is meant to be read as a straight information or question without an implicit dismissive stance or interest in having the other party feel offended unless there's emotes that hint otherwise or there's an increased use of exclamation marks and all-capital words.
@normen said: Me too but not Jens himself, I rather like seeing him doing what he's doing currently ^^ If only there were lots of people putting their experiences together to work out edge cases and documentation for our GUI lib eh? ;P The content of this post is meant to be read as a straight information or question without an implicit dismissive stance or interest in having the other party feel offended unless there's emotes that hint otherwise or there's an increased use of exclamation marks and all-capital words.

There are lots of dedicated followers for Nifty! It doesn’t need lil’ ol’ me. =)

Plus, having a native library to work with isn’t a terrible thing. One of my biggest frustrations with Nifty was the change in mindset:

I’m working in JME
I’m working in Nifty
I’m working in JME
I’m working in Nifty

With as tightly knit as the GUI was in my game (really heavy dependency on the GUI) This is was a real stumbling block for keeping a rapid development pace.

I already said I don’t mind you doing your thing, its just not like many people that are active here are actively sharing usable code (or documentation) :slight_smile: And especially not code for stuff I could use ^^ Anyway a simple bar is easily done, but some nice generic nifty controller implementation would have been great so I don’t have to write it to enable allow doing a functional UI w/o programming right away (or having to rework at least all bars to nifty later ;)) But thats because our artist isn’t a programmer (or even the same programmer as the game programmer) and doesn’t switch between the IDE and nifty but between Photoshop and Nifty ^^

You know one of the selfish reasons I do this for is that I only need to make 10% of a game engine to have 100% of one :smiley: I hope to get 10%-20% of features for our games from the ether as well :wink:
The content of this post is meant to be read as a straight information or question without an implicit dismissive stance or interest in having the other party feel offended unless there’s emotes that hint otherwise or there’s an increased use of exclamation marks and all-capital words.

1 Like

This looks really cool! I’ve already started messing up with your library tonegod! Thank you!

1 Like
@normen said: You know one of the selfish reasons I do this for is that I only need to make 10% of a game engine to have 100% of one :D I hope to get 10%-20% of features for our games from the ether as well ;) The content of this post is meant to be read as a straight information or question without an implicit dismissive stance or interest in having the other party feel offended unless there's emotes that hint otherwise or there's an increased use of exclamation marks and all-capital words.

Big thumbs up for this one :wink:

@normen said: If only there were lots of people putting their experiences together to work out edge cases and documentation for our GUI lib eh? ;P

Shall I jump through that opened door?

Naw. I shall restrain myself.

“Never forget.”

@madjack said: Shall I jump through that opened door?

Naw. I shall restrain myself.

“Never forget.”

Yeah, us assholes, especially Jens. You are such a darling to work with. :roll: Also I was talking to tonegod here.