Installer seems to be corrupted Ubuntu 12.04

Hello Everyone! I am trying to install JMonkey Engine 3.0 in my new Ubuntu 12.04 LTS install. Earlier, I was running the engine on Windows 7 and it was working fine. But now I downloaded jmonkeyplatform-linux-x64.sh and tried to run it via terminal:

chmod +x jmonkeyplatform-linux-x64.sh
and then, with
sudo ./jmonkeyplatform-linux-x64.sh

but I get the error

Configuring the installer…

Installer file /home/USERNAME/Downloads/jmonkeyplatform-linux-x64.sh seems to be corrupted.

I searched through the forums but couldn’t find a solution. I even tried redownloading the file but it still didn’t work. Thanks for the help!

You are using the 32bit installer on a 64bit OS or vice versa, click the “Engine” link on the download page to get the 32bit installer for Linux.

The ubuntu version I am using is x86-64 which is 64 bit. My Iso is named ubuntu-12.04.2-desktop-amd64_2.iso while the one for ubuntu 32 bit is ubuntu-12.04.2-desktop-i386_2.iso. So, it is definitely a 64 bit version.

I’d try it anyway. Otherwise it is what the installer states, a corrupted download. As others installed both versions successfully you might want to try a download manager in this case.

am having similar problem on opensuse kde 13.1 64bits. can someone help me asap.

Same thing here, despite several attempts and different downloads on Debian 7.3, OpenSUSE 13.1 and Mint 15 64 bits versions over the past few weeks. My guess is: the installer is corrupted.

Note that RC2 for linux works fine though.

@franckvand said: Same thing here, despite several attempts and different downloads on Debian 7.3, OpenSUSE 13.1 and Mint 15 64 bits versions over the past few weeks. My guess is: the installer is corrupted.

How does it work for others (and me) then? /boggle

@franckvand said: Same thing here, despite several attempts and different downloads on Debian 7.3, OpenSUSE 13.1 and Mint 15 64 bits versions over the past few weeks. My guess is: the installer is corrupted.

I know it’s going to sound silly… but just to be 100% sure… you did download the 64 bit version for your 64 bit OS, yes?

I assume yes but assuming can be bad.

…and actually, I’m remembering something about mint… is your error exactly the same “complaining about being corrupted”… or is it different?

I remember for some installers for different apps, I was getting odd errors about not being able to run it just because I didn’t have all of the libraries required. But I’m kind of reaching for straws now.

@normen said: How does it work for others (and me) then? /boggle

Luck?

Let’s admit it: failing to install a software on 3 different computers, with 3 different fresh distributions naturally leads you to think there might be something wrong with the installer. What part of “sudo ./jmonkeyplatform-linux-x64.sh” could I have done wrong?

Oh, well, I’ll stick with RC2, then.

@franckvand said: Luck?

Let’s admit it: failing to install a software on 3 different computers, with 3 different fresh distributions naturally leads you to think there might be something wrong with the installer. What part of “sudo ./jmonkeyplatform-linux-x64.sh” could I have done wrong?

Oh, well, I’ll stick with RC2, then.

You mean the corrupted bits simply line up in another order that accidentally is the right one? Wonderous… :wink: But srsly, it might be that our server has unstable routes to some parts of the world. Otherwise I couldn’t explain this behavior, really.

@pspeed said: I know it's going to sound silly... but just to be 100% sure... you did download the 64 bit version for your 64 bit OS, yes?

jmonkeyplatform-linux-x64.sh it is.

I wonder if it’s possible at least this time to run an md5 sum or something on the working file to check the theory that it might be connection issues.

@normen said: You mean the corrupted bits simply line up in another order that accidentally is the right one? Wonderous.. ;) But srsly, it might be that our server has unstable routes to some parts of the world. Otherwise I couldn't explain this behavior, really.

That sounds crazy, indeed :slight_smile: And as for the routers scrambling bits to my place for 3.0 final and not for 3.0 RC2, that sounds even more unlikely :slight_smile:

I’m downloading it to my Mint machine here to see if it runs.

@pspeed said: ...and actually, I'm remembering something about mint... is your error exactly the same "complaining about being corrupted"... or is it different?

I remember for some installers for different apps, I was getting odd errors about not being able to run it just because I didn’t have all of the libraries required. But I’m kind of reaching for straws now.

The messages are a bit different. This is what I have:

Mint:
[java]Configuring the installer…
Seaching for JVM on the system…
Preparing bundled JVM…
Extracting installation data…

Installer file /home/franck/Downloads/jmonkeyplatform-linux-x64.sh seems to be corrupted[/java]

Debian and OpenSUSE:
[java]

Installer file /home/franck/Downloads/jmonkeyplatform-linux-x64.sh seems to be corrupted[/java]

I’ll download the installer once again, just I case I notice any difference.

@pspeed said: I wonder if it's possible at least this time to run an md5 sum or something on the working file to check the theory that it might be connection issues.

Now that was a good idead:

my OpenSUSE returns

641fd6d6ffc52864e480d21335bc804b

my Mint returns

750389f32bffa4585410f1b78b74e7ee

these were downloaded from two different places. The file I’m working with on the debian laptop is a copy from OpenSUSE.

I’m downloading the installer again.

The download says it will take another 40 minutes on that machine and I need to go to bed soon. So I probably won’t get to test it until tomorrow sometime.

OK 3rd download, and another md5sum :
6dd8d95b428222c10bd465360f23e0c3

Installer file /home/franck/Downloads/jmonkeyplatform-linux-x64_001.sh seems to be corrupted

@franckvand said: OK 3rd download, and another md5sum : 6dd8d95b428222c10bd465360f23e0c3

Installer file /home/franck/Downloads/jmonkeyplatform-linux-x64_001.sh seems to be corrupted

So if you get differing MD5s then the corruption isn’t in the file on the server, as I said.