IntelliJ IDEA

As my favorite IDE is IDEA and I use it all the time for jME. I have requested an open-source-project license (my other license did allow using it for my rl-work, only). This allows all jME-core developers to use IDEA - so if anyone is interested:

IMPORTANT: THIS IS TO CERTIFY THE RIGHT TO USE THE JETBRAINS SOFTWARE PRODUCT, GRANTED BY JETBRAINS S.R.O. UNDER THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THE LICENSE AGREEMENT INCLUDED WITH THE SOFTWARE. PLEASE SAVE A COPY OF THIS EMAIL FOR FUTURE REFERENCES.

========LICENSE DETAILS========

Type: Open Source License
Reference No*: LC-100087-D217739010
Date of Issue: 15 July 2008
Expiration Date: 15 July 2009
Number of Authorized Users: not limited

* Please quote this reference when contacting JetBrains.

===========LICENSEE============

Name: jMonkey Engine
Customer ID: 100087
Address: GERMANY

=======SOFTWARE PRODUCT========

Product Name: IntelliJ IDEA

The software is shipped electronically and is available for download from:
http://www.jetbrains.com/idea/download/index.html

=========INSTALLATION==========

Run IntelliJ IDEA and follow the Installation Wizard's instructions. To register for use of the software or change your existing registration details, go to Help/Register menu of the software and enter the included below the User Name and License Key(s) into the registration dialog:

User Name: jMonkey Engine
License Key: 100087-C85TT-SN5MM-168OV-NVC0I-DHYD6

===DOCUMENTATION AND SUPPORT===

IntelliJ IDEA documentation:
http://www.jetbrains.com/idea/documentation/

Available support resources:
http://www.jetbrains.com/support/index.html

Technical support contact:
support@jetbrains.com

For questions, please contact:
sales@jetbrains.com

JetBrains Sales Team
http://www.jetbrains.com
"Develop with pleasure!"

Hey, I just noticed this thread now that I have admin access. This license might be useful for future developers of jME, but it is going to expire on July 15. Would it be possible to renew it?

Thanks for this.

any update on this? i'm using intellij as well, and love it so much i have not yet built up the strength to switch to eclipse(which they want me to at work)…

update? what do you mean? the license has not expired yet, but I will get a new one then :slight_smile:

MrCoder said:

[...] and love it so much i have not yet built up the strength to switch to eclipse(which they want me to at work)...

sometimes I have to use Eclipse as developing - and especially testing - Eclipse plugins is not very comfortable with another IDE. But each time I have to use it I know why I use IDEA all the other time :D

sorry, lazy me didnt read close enough, i though it was a request only hehe 

forget the last post :slight_smile:

But each time I have to use it I know why I use IDEA all the other time

this is exactly what everyone i have ever talked to that has used IDEA are saying, including myself :)

You IDEA people make me sick. :-p

darkfrog

So you have not tried it yet, darkfrog? poor frog! :cry:

There is that much disbelief in this world

darkfrog said:

You IDEA people make me sick. :-p

darkfrog

you should try it, it has a menu option under the "code completion" menu called "generate network gaming package" :)
MrCoder said:

you should try it, it has a menu option under the "code completion" menu called "generate network gaming package" :)

DOWN WITH IDEA!!!! :-p

I've actually used it a few times.  I've considered using it for a prolonged period to see if it is a worthwhile switch but I think it's better that I don't like it....costs too much. :-p  Sure I can use it for development on jME, but I cannot use it for developing any commercial applications without purchasing it, right?

Besides, there is a great deal more plug-in support in the community for Eclipse than there ever will be for IDEA (primarily because Eclipse is open-source).  I just downloaded a tool today for Eclipse that monitors my usage with WTP and I get a $20 gift certificate after uploading one month of usage data. :o  Eat that IDEA users!

darkfrog

You would have to pay me a lot more than the 500$ to get me using another IDE…

A single single small software project would be enough to save more than 500$ of time.

But actually I don't care whether other people use IDEA as long as I can use it - everyone should use his/her favorite IDE - so I stop posting here now.

I'm hesitant to ask, but what are the main features that IDEA has that Eclipse does not?  The only big thing I've seen that Eclipse doesn't support that IDEA does is block select/copy/paste.

darkfrog

block s/c/p?  What do you mean exactly by that?  (I assume not the simple select a block by mouse and standard copy and paste since you can do that in eclipse…)

Block select as opposed to line select.  For example, you can select vertically from the fifth character over down and to the tenth character over and select only that as opposed to selecting entire lines as you drag your selection with standard line selection.  It's a really useful feature in certain circumstances.  I still have to jump back to jEdit when I have a situation that needs such functionality.  It's been on Eclipse's feature request list for a few years and hasn't been touched. :-p

darkfrog

Ah…  That would be nice.  I currently use good old Textpad for a lot of my textual manipulation needs…  (hmm, that wasn’t supposed to sound dirty.)

hehe

darkfrog

Hey these IDEA developers don't even bother their open source users with renewal requests - they sent a mail without me asking for it:

"I just wanted to let you know that your project's IntelliJ IDEA Open Source license will be expiring soon. I have checked your project's state, and it looks like it's making good progress. So let me be the first to congratulate you on your continued efforts and inform that you will shortly receive a renewed Open Source license key to use IntelliJ IDEA for another year…"

I'll update the first post in this topic.

It's because they have so few users that they have the free time to individually look up each of their users and send a personalized e-mail.  :stuck_out_tongue:

XD

it's because they have so few bugs and support calls that they can all focus on checking things like that up :wink: