intersectWherePlanarQuad bugged?

The API docs for intersectWherePlanarQuad() claim it returns the plane hit coords as t, u, v.

This example shows that the ray will register a hit beyond the right side of the defined quad (as looking from the ray's PoV). So what does it return in the loc storage vector? Well,  :D u will exceed 1.0f, which it should never do(?).

Note that it's only positive u that gives a problem – neg. u and both pos. and neg. v work perfectly, with no hit registered on the plane.

Please could this be fixed? Thanks!

//These points outline a set of 4 walls, each of which will be a plane. Room is 5x5.
      outlinePoints = new Vector3f[]
      {
         new Vector3f(2.5f,0,-2.5f), //ne corner
         new Vector3f(2.5f,0,2.5f), //se corner
         new Vector3f(-2.5f,0,2.5f), //sw corner
         new Vector3f(-2.5f,0,-2.5f) //nw corner
      };

//This ray shouldn't hit the north wall, because it's shoting a full 1.5 units beyond the right edge, but it does.
      Ray ray = new Ray(new Vector3f(4.0f, -.5f, 0), Vector3f.UNIT_Z.negate());

Vector3f point1, point2, point3, hit = Vector3f.ZERO;
      int lastIndex;
      Plane[] planes = new Plane[outlinePoints.length];

//Create each plane and check ray against it
      for (int index = 0; index < outlinePoints.length; index++)
      {
         lastIndex = index == 0? room.foundationOutlinePoints.length - 1 : index - 1;

//plane ranges between p1 and p2 in x and z and 0 and -1 in y
         point1 = room.foundationOutlinePoints[lastIndex];
         point2 = room.foundationOutlinePoints[index];
         point3 = point1.add(Vector3f.UNIT_Y.negate()); //the bottom left point of the proposed quad

boolean result = ray.intersectWherePlanarQuad(point1, point2, point3, hit);
         if (!result ) hit = new Vector3f();

Main.logger.info("Ray intersects plane? "+result);
         Main.logger.info("Ray intersects plane at "+hit.x +", "+ hit.y +", "+ hit.z);
      }

EDIT: Also worth pointing out that the storage vector remains unchanged on a fail, meaning it retains the same value it had before, if the variable is reused. I don't know if this is the correct way, but it might be worth nulling it when there is no hit? Maybe I'm wrong here.

Planes are infinite, only way of not collidignw ith one is pointing away or parrallel so you probably hit it somewhere far away?

Not sure about U maybee ti tells you where in realtion to the given coordinates it hits?

Not sure about this though just a few guesses

hey Emp,

No, this is not a plane – it's a quad – see the API (there is a separate method for testing against infinite Planes). As a quad, it has dimensional limits and it works on 3 of 4 of those limits – but not the last.

It does tell you where – that's part of what indicates that this is a problem. A UV coordinate system is never meant to exceed the range 0.0 -> 1.0 (AFAIK), and this will give values well beyond 1.0 because it thinks it's hitting the quad – but it's not. But it doesn't do the same on the V axis (i.e. it works on V).

Try the example, it's a very simple test case anyone can visualise. It just fails on +u axis of the quad.

Well what happens if you just filter out invalid u value results with an simple if? are the reaming ones valid then?

Well that's exactly what I did yesterday, but it sucks having to do that in my code.

Is there any place where bug reports are meant to be sent? Or do you guys usually just post in the forums?  I'm guessing this is a pretty small thing to fix, for someone who knows their 3D math.

Well for bugs you are here more or less right, if you have a solution post it in the contribution depot.