Is MonkeyWorld still being developed?

Hey, welcome back tGiant!

Appel - If your connection will allow watch some of the video tutorials that cover some of your questions.  The camera will move in the scene with WASD.  So, to tilt we may want to consider a Shift+WASD combo.

tGiantLabs said:

Hi Darklord.

I see what your problem is and got the same problem previously, but

can you please explain the exact steps you applied to get to that problem?

I want to try and replicate it!

okido, here we go!

1) download the win32 MonkeyWorld.
2) extract the zip, execute the .bat
3) Right at the start I see an error, note that I load an empty level (New level -> enter name of level -> enter = empty level)

INFO: Child (camera_entity) attached to this node (camera_joint_node)
May 10, 2006 11:46:00 PM com.jme.scene.Node attachChild
INFO: Child (camera_joint_node) attached to this node (camera_entity)
INFO: Child (camera_entity) attached to this node (entities node)
May 10, 2006 11:46:00 PM com.jme.scene.Node detachChildAt
INFO: Child removed.
INFO: Child (entities node) attached to this node (root)
[Fatal Error] :-1:-1: Premature end of file.
org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Premature end of file.
        at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.DOMParser.parse(Unknown So
urce)
        at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.jaxp.DocumentBuilderImpl.parse(Unk
nown Source)
        at javax.xml.parsers.DocumentBuilder.parse(Unknown Source)
        at com.mw3d.core.io.LevelReader.parseXmlFile(LevelReader.java:89)
        at com.mw3d.core.io.LevelReader.load(LevelReader.java:139)
        at com.mw3d.core.level.Level.doOpen(Level.java:52)
        at com.mw3d.core.util.LevelManager.openLevel(LevelManager.java:155)
        at com.mw3d.swt.EditorGUI.openLevel(EditorGUI.java:458)
        at com.mw3d.swt.EditorGUI.initExtra(EditorGUI.java:223)
        at com.mw3d.swt.EditorGUI.init(EditorGUI.java:206)
        at com.mw3d.swt.EditorGUI.createContents(EditorGUI.java:149)
        at org.eclipse.jface.window.Window.create(Window.java:418)
        at com.mw3d.swt.EditorGUI.open(EditorGUI.java:353)
        at com.mw3d.swt.MonkeyWorld3D.launch(MonkeyWorld3D.java:67)
        at com.mw3d.swt.MonkeyWorld3D.<init>(MonkeyWorld3D.java:40)
        at com.mw3d.swt.MonkeyWorld3D.main(MonkeyWorld3D.java:52)

4) we move on and I create a terrain.
5) Activation -> Level Terrain
6) Level Terrain -> Terrain
7) I select File -> new -> 128x128 map
8) Generate the map
9) Add perlin noise
10) select immediate and close the window
11) now I got my terrain, I go to Level Terrain -> Wireframe so I can't se through the terrain.
12) I go to Terrain Settings and extend the Texture Layers
13) I selecht Add
14) I select grass.jpg from the jME librairy
15)

May 10, 2006 11:49:08 PM com.jme.scene.Node attachChild
INFO: Child (Debug Shape) attached to this node (root)
D:developmentMonkeyWorld3dProjectsgrass.jpg

16) I look at the box underneith the "Add" and "Generate" buttons and I see "Image {-737867774}"
17) I click on it and a blue bar highlights it.

May 10, 2006 11:49:08 PM com.jme.scene.Node attachChild
INFO: Child (Debug Shape) attached to this node (root)
D:developmentMonkeyWorld3dProjectsgrass.jpg
current texture = null

18) Small icon pictures the grass texture.
19) Im stuck.. can't select advanced settings and cant remove the item as well
20) the landscape does have the texture as landscape though

Am I the only one having this problem? :(

oh well.. a small suggestion!
a function which would allow to tilt objects would be great. Right now you need to use "Rotate Object" if I could also enter some figures somewhere, it would be more accurate. Maybe you can make it so that you can enter the amount of degrees the object needs to tilt on a specified axis? :)

Thanks for your time, keep up the good work.

On a small sidenote, are you dutch? Your name sounds very dutch

Hi there. Okay Darklord here is what I got.

org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Premature end of file.

I'll try that tonight! Thanks alot! And don't be sorry for the inconvience, sheesh, it's great you made such a tool despite whatever someone might say!  :lol:

Do you have any estimate when 3.0 will be released (I know deadlines are never met but days/weeks/months) and do you think my suggested feature is a possibility?

Thanks alot! :slight_smile:

Sounds good, as long as you plan on releasing it i'm happy! It's a great tool and with the new improvements and fixes its going to rock! :slight_smile:

I suggest to just add boxes in the lower right corner just like the XYZ-axis.  It lets you quicker change stuff on the fly, using a popup might complicate it too much.

Another minor question, with what can I make my own custom greyscale maps? I tried making one in Paint but it didnt work, im guessing I need Photoshop or something?

Thanks!

I love the Gimp for this.  It has a color cloud Script-Fu called Plasma that can generate some cool patterns which can then be converted to grayscale.  Plus the Gimps brushes are great.  Not to sound too positive or anything.

Hehe, I'll check it out.

Tried your "hack" and it works. I can texture again! cheers

In addition to my suggestion which allows the user to set the amount of degrees an object is facing, it might also be nice if you could add  "StartingXYZ" and "EndingXYZ" boxes.

That way you can for instance say that a Quad starts at X = 10, Y = 10, Z = 10 and ends at X = 20, Y = 20, Z = 20 for instance.

I know you should be able to do it with the GUI but Im having a hard time doing it. Personally its a bit too rough for precision work (e.a putting objects right next to each other)

Thanks!.

btw, tGiant, you might have a look at using the new JMEImporter/Exporter classes for file saving.  It's faster and more stable the old binary and fairly compact as well.

Thanks Renanse I will have a look at it.

The only problem is, it will be almost imposible to load the jme scene into our model.

We make use of entities, etc.

huh?  Don't get it.

Your entities just need to implement Savable, if you need to save/load them out. That's sort of why we redid the system, to allow easy extension for third party classes.

However, if you are going to save your data as a scene that can then be loaded into a basic jME structure, you'll not want to save out your entity stuff, so you'll need some logic there.

The new system is extremely expendable, you can put almost anything in it. (You can even save files that have nothing to do with jme)

Badmi, my hope is that you meant extendable. :-p

darkfrog

extendable yes.

I had no intention of saying expendable.

I have started something yesterday with the new jme system ( not that much thu ), but their was a lots of changes that we have to make in order to be compatable with the current jMe stuff. Managed to port the SWT Display stuff, and it worked as charm, but still most of the code is broken, so we must go for some more rounds when time permits :(. Yet the most important part that I have seen missing the the CloneCreator class, which we used manly in vegetation. I don't think that the other changes will take that time, but we have to study what jME currently have, and utilize it at max. I can't say anything about the new JMEImporter/Exporter interfaces, so I just can't comment on them right now, but I don't see any reason why not using them if they are abstracted enough.

One question thu, can we use those utilities to load other formats on the fly, or still their is a need from other importer/exporter to migrate to the new jme stuff ? Or don't I get the picture here ?