Is Mythruna open source?

Hi there! i was asking myself if Mythruna was an open source project?

If not i wanted to say it would really help people to see what a “real” game source code is! Even if it is still in pre alpha i think that you’ve reach the hard part that every beginner stop on…

Thanks!

Mythruna isn’t open source. It might become so in some years, but don’t wait on this as a learning tool.

If I remember well there is development being done on a game that would serve as a groundwork for a RTS-sorta game. It may even be included in jME’s tests… Not sure about that though.

Anyway. I’m sure Paul will pop in here giving you full reasons why Mythruna isn’t open source (except for the part where he plans to sell the game).

I don’t think paul has to explain that, its his code, period ^^

“Real” game source code looks different for every game and programmer really. Read (not just look at) our wiki, which gives you lots of hints about the “reality” of all of the coding details it explains, look at the code of MonkeyZone for an example and read the many documents about game development that are out there (e.g. valve puts out lots of useful material).

Yeah, others have hit on it. I will try to sell Mythruna and it would be easier to do that if there weren’t 50 games that were exactly like it. :slight_smile:

I have a few little systems that I plan to open source at some point because they make using JME easier. For example, I have some useful app state classes that I will contribute some day. Especially I want to put an example together of how to use Nifty with JME in an AppState-friendly way.

And I’m a big fan of open source, I have several of my own projects out there already. So if Mythruna gets to the point where it’s got good momentum and is earning money through direct sales or other means then I will probably open source all or most of it. I think that’s probably years away, though.

This project has consumed all of my non-sleeping free time for six months, now… I don’t even watch TV anymore. I’d like to get something out of that work other than a really resentful wife. :slight_smile:

3 Likes
pspeed said:
I don't even watch TV anymore. I'd like to get something out of that work other than a really resentful wife. :)

I can assure you you're not missing on anything TV-wise. This -thing- is the most idiotizing thing known to man (except maybe for the Discovery Channel and the NAT Geo channel that is). ;)

As for the wife, well, I'm sure when you'll rake the money in by the truckload she won't be so bitter. :D Just kidding. :)

yeh i just watch stuff on justin.tv anyways :). Storage wars/Pawn Stars/Trailer Park Boys, you guys get the best shows in USA/Canada :frowning:

If you want to look at a source code for an open source Minecraft-esque game, look up a game called blockmania on github!

It’s only in like, 0.2 alpha but you know. It generates some nice worlds!

It’s not as good as mythruna though :wink:

milkshakepanda said:
If you want to look at a source code for an open source Minecraft-esque game, look up a game called blockmania on github!
(...)

There's also the jMonkeyEngine based Bloxel ;)
http://code.google.com/p/bloxel/
1 Like