j3o benefits?

I converted a 189kb blender file to a 16mb j3o file, apart from the size issue, is there any benefits to using j3o over ogre/blender files ?

your can’t distribute your game without them (AFAIK), because all (mesh.xml, .blender files etc.) are removed from your distribution copy when you compile, and they are meant to be loaded in memory faster as well because they are in binary format.

Loading a j3o is very much faster than loading a blend file, because it’s exactly the same structure as objects in memory.

However I’m surprised with the size of the resulting j3o. Do you have embed textures?

It could be useful to separate the textures from the blend/j3o and maybe encode them in DDS using DXT compression.

Probably the images got imported too yeah, try having the model and textures in the assets folder all the time and convert it there, then the image files should be used instead if @Kaelthas did not break that functionality. Oh and another advantage of j3o is that you can save everything that works in jme3 in the file (e.g. physics, collision shapes, User Data, LOD etc) without constant problems due to differences in so called “exchange format” exports.

would animations work the same way then if i loaded in a .j3o instead of .mesh.xml ?

Yes, a j3o contains what is created when you load a .mesh.xml file. Thats why its faster, there is no conversion process.

kl, Thanks, i imagine theres a class that does the conversion to .j3o i dont particularly like using the JMP, time to search JME google code

You can use jMP just to do stuff like that, you don’t have to code with it or use its pre made project and deployment, just select File->Import->External Project Assets and you can make a “codeless project” to edit whatever projects assets and convert models etc.

yeah thats what ive been doing, but i figured it was available as java code and could just run it on any model i got.