(January 2019) Monthly WIP & Screenshot thread

I added .obj export to my block-ed tool so that I could load the block models into a slicer… for this:

Keeping up my ‘nerd’ street cred.

17 Likes

those graphics are insane! realistic skin shader, nice dust texturing on the monitor makes it look like it’s never been cleaned, sweet LCD shader, top stuiff

2 Likes

Sick print man, those are some massive overhangs and I can’t tell at all where the supports were. ABS or PLA?

Wait hold up with that line at the stern, did you print this in two pieces and glue it together? :smile:

I printed it in two halves and have not glued it together yet. I have a half size version that I printed regular but then I was sad that I couldn’t remove the supports from inside.

Smaller version… the top of one of the masts broke off when I was removing the supports and I haven’t glued it back on yet:
https://i.imgur.com/LdJrV2b.jpg

Inside view of the larger version of one half:
https://i.imgur.com/xRsXeRY.jpg

I originally made a super small one but all of the masts broke off during support removal:
The print was otherwise good despite the potato-quality of this image:
https://i.imgur.com/kqOCZ8x.jpg

3 Likes

15 Likes

I’ve always loved real world objects that have come from a game, it’s sort of reverse of the norm.

Exactly. I have a strong desire to print a lot of the 3D game models I create now… like I did with the Spacebugs gun.

When I get proper Mythruna block editing done with partial blocks, slopes, etc… it will be interesting to see exports printed. Especially if I can turn some of the bump maps into geometry so that they have the proper texture.

Do 3d prints support adaptive tessellation? It would be cool to have a low poly ship model on the desk, and when you pick it up and look closer, the detail goes up.

3 Likes

Nah, reality hasn’t received that feature yet. I don’t know if it will be a firmware update or if we’ll have to move to a whole new reality.

1 Like

Microsoft are working on a 4TB release day patch

1 Like

Nah man, reality uses a voxel based system that doesn’t really use polygons for rendering so the traditional optimization mindset doesn’t work at all. Basically this but slightly more high resolution.

2 Likes

those videos always piss me off, they do too good of a job.

I hope they push a PBR update to reality soon so real life more accurately reflects our renders.

I’m loving the text display at the bottom. What are you using?

Thanks! I made the layout with Lemur since it’s best for scaling text. And the font I’m using is called “Nyala”

I designed the transparent display box with Paint and Gimp. I’m too cheap for better texturing programs, so I actually design all my interface elements by making basic shapes in Paint, and then move it over to Gimp to change the colors , modify transparency, and apply some blur or other effects

1 Like

Why not just use gimp in the first place? That’s what I usually do. It’s a MUCH better editor than paint.
Edit: At least if you mean MS Paint

PBR is a small nightmare to get looking right, mostly because everything I do requires either a debug state to fiddle with it, or nine million app restarts, but you can’t deny the graphics look absolutely stunning sometimes…

Kind of half thinking about reviving this old chestnut I made a while ago. It makes things so much easier being able to tinker around visually :confused:

6 Likes

I run into this a lot. I have started writing multiple Main classes, and point gradle to the one I am working on. So when I work on trees, I make a new main that only shows trees so I can get them right, then migrate that code over to the RunGame main class, or an appState.

Also, only attach the appStates I need to speed up the run time.

Now, I have gone so far as to rip out each part into it’s own project, and importing them to the main.

And finally, a quick GUI that can change numeric values will make dev a billion times faster.

And finally finally, it looks great, some AO will help make the grass pop

1 Like

I do the same ish. I just write an apostate in a debug namespace and just run it from simpleInit, remarking out the main appstate that actually starts the game.

I do write debug GUI’s but man am I sick of the boilerplate. And then you have to do the input bindings for the 50th time.

The reason I had a go at the external debugger is so it doesn’t steal any screen space, doesn’t require any input bindings, and can be turned on and off in a one-liner. I can see the changes real-time and play around.

In the demo in the video it just re-uses components (and thus bindings) so no repetitive code. I might spend a few hours on it and see what i think.

Appreciate the compliments :slight_smile:

I personally just find MS paint to be the quickest tool for drawing boxes and circles haha. GIMP has much better editing tools, but sometimes it take me longer to draw the shapes and merge all the layers properly if I start from scratch in GIMP

still very WIP and ugly faces, but something done :slight_smile: only one tatoo and scar and onyl one hair, there are much more to do.

But i hold on with ragdoll issue that i hope community(currently @sgold) will help me with.

@sgold i asked about Bone.setUserControl() because face is generated this way, parent bone used for animation so face stay intact while animation.

Currently i could skip it and try export via blender file, but i dont want stay with deprecated methods. :frowning:

i would like current work to stay as it is, just letting me making ragdoll + partial ragdoll (for monsters for example)

5 Likes