(January 2023) Monthly WIP Screenshot Thread

Surprised I’m the first one to it this month.

I’ve been working on lots of different stuff lately but this week has been ecology fractals.

After last weeks’ live stream, I went back and renomarlized a lot of the fractals and added a roughness model, etc… this sent me into a whole weekend of deep diving into the terrain models, fractals, etc…

Not it will not only generate cool spiky terrain like this:

…but it knows that steep sides should be stone and not dirt, and so on. (No screen shots of that yet… because…)

That sent me into a deep dive into my climate models. The trees weren’t laying out like I wanted. I’ve worked on it some number of hours every day this week… and I finally have something that might work so I made some visuals.

This is the base climate model that combines average temperature and average precipitation models. Temperature is treated like a bell curve where extremely low or extremely high values approach 0% growability… all tempered by the moisture level provided by the annual precipitation model. (Temperature is also affected by elevation which is why the taller mountain peaks have 0% growth.)

I combined the climate with a few plant fractals… mostly I was interested in where trees will grow because other plants are pretty easy. And one problem with the old way was that I either had only open fields or no open fields… very little in between. Keep the scale in mind and note that the open areas even aside from the deserts and snow tundras can be pretty wide open. Nice farm country or rolling steppe.

This model leads nicely to being able to detect the deep forests:

These are areas of thick trees, mostly contiguous. The goal is to detect the larger forests when I’m detecting the bodies of water… if they are large enough they might get their own random in-game names (like the bodies of water, mountain ranges, etc.)

I still need to port it to Mythruna and see how it actually looks. If I don’t get to that today then I’ll do it on tonight’s live stream.

16 Likes

Wow! It makes me want to have something similar for the flight simulator visual system…
I don’t know the size of the Mythruna world, but are you also going to implement different geotypical zones e.g. deserts, rainforests, alpine regions and seasonal effects?

2 Likes

The world is effectively infinite.

On those maps, a hexagon is about 3km. (3072 meters)

There are all of those things. I even point some out in the climate model pics above. Seasons will come later.

Edit: in this pic, I happen to have the temperature zones well memorized so I know that:
https://imgur.com/1uYNF76.png

1. is a desert
  2. is frozen tundra (ice and snow, no plants)
  3. is a rain forest (30 C, super humid)
  4. is like dry grass lands.
  5. another desert I think (might be more frozen tundra, hard to say in this map since temperature color was removed.)
  6. is also really cold. Those islands in that “no plant life” zone are snow and ice.

Edit2: and note that the scale of areas varies around the world. There are larger deserts way to the north west and south east as I recall. Sometimes when I mess with the fractals I end up moving things around so I could be wrong.

9 Likes

I got some physics working and enabled sounds again. This video is prototyping the sound of picking up powerups :smiley:

11 Likes

Wow! So pretty, I feel bad for posting this monstrosity.

Imgur

12 Likes

Adding support for primitive geometry shapes.
Each one of these icons gets rendered in runtime to a texture and then used for showing in the icon.
The idea is to do the same for the library of models I want to add to this tool.

14 Likes

Making some more progress with the scene editor.
Added tree painting into terrain.
Screenshot of a sunny summer day at the lake.

17 Likes

@ndebruyn Sounds cool! Is the source code of the editor available?

1 Like

The code is available, however the editor is still highly in development and I would not recomend anyone looking at it yet. Still a million things to iron out.

3 Likes

I’ve been building a similar editor for my game. Maybe we could join forces if the intent is to have something for the community? Is this a github project?

Cool, care to show what your editor looks like?
This project I am working on is mainly for personal use and still very high in development.
It is my side line hobby for this year. If someone else sees a use for it when I am done then I would also be pleased.

1 Like

Here is the repo for mine. I have been adding manual item placements in addition to all the generators, which seems to be similar to what you are doing.

4 Likes

Nice it looks good and I like what your idea is with that tool.
I have noticed that you are using the AWT integration of jME, where as I am using my own UI library which is similar to Lemur except not so advanced.
The main idea of my editor is to make scene/world creation as simple as possible for the jME developer.
Currently it is very difficult to setup or create a nice scene, or prototype a scene for your game.
Which is the main purpose of my editor. Once I have it in a state which is usable, I would release a demo version of the editor for testing.

4 Likes

Currently it is very difficult to setup or create a nice scene, or prototype a scene for your game.

Amen to that

That is true. Maybe would be better to just use as two separate programs. Terranova to generate random things and then import to yours to place objects and paint scene details. Is your app able to import jm3o?

It can import .j3o objects and all other supported model formats such as .obj, .fbx, .gltf, etc.
It does however have a specific structure which I use in the editor such as:

1. Scene Node for loose standing objects
  2. One terrain and attached to the terrain batchNodes for different grass layers, trees, etc.
  3. Sky node
  4. On the root node I save the FilterPostProcessor as a userData object. This helps to pack your filters with the main .j3o file.